gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

LMAO Germany adopts an AR-15   Small Arms <20mm

Started 14/9/20 by QuintusO; 31185 views.
taschoene

25-May

Yeah, you get a feel for this given the full "optional" scope of the retrofit includes a new barrel, fore-end, mag well, etc.  When you get to the point that all you're keeping of the original gun is the stock and trigger group, you're better off starting from scratch.  

stancrist

25-May

roguetechie said:

So think about this, when you decide to do an upgrade program you start pulling guns back to depots (that in itself costs money).

Hmm.  Seems like a non-issue.  Wouldn't the guns also be pulled back to depots in a replacement program, incurring the same costs?

roguetechie

25-May

In the replacement program you don't have to break down the guns sort and gauge the parts refinish them reorder out of spec pieces etc....

In a way going to a new rifle is "easier" on several fronts.

The expense situation could basically be a wash though. The one thing I'll say is that there's substantially less fun and interesting ways to fuck up a new gun over a bizarre we're basically going to replace everything but call it the same gun scenario.

Luckily for us we actually have a really good example of a shitshow exactly like this going on right now as we speak in the L85a3 situation which is somehow costing the Brits as much or more than HK gouges out of the USMC per 416!

(Around $2700 per gun for L85a3 and $3000 for 416's to the Marines)

Now If we look at what HK is charging the French per gun OTOH, which thanks to Emeric we know is right around half of what they charge the Marines, we can see that the British are quite literally paying twice as much per gun for a gun that's going to be actively worse than the 416.

What's really fun about this example is HK is doing the USMC contract the french contract and the Brit contract so we aren't even comparing apples to oranges!

The G36 is pretty much equally troubled to the L85 and the pitfalls are going to be much the same.

I personally hope the Germans are smart enough to acknowledge this cautionary tale and act accordingly.

EmericD

25-May

roguetechie said:

(Around $2700 per gun for L85a3 and $3000 for 416's to the Marines) Now If we look at what HK is charging the French per gun OTOH, which thanks to Emeric we know is right around half of what they charge the Marines, we can see that the British are quite literally paying twice as much per gun for a gun that's going to be actively worse than the 416.

The USMC is paying much, much less now than 3000 $ per M27. I don't even know if they paid such a high price for the initial contract.

roguetechie

25-May

They WERE paying much less during the short time window when press attention and public outrage put a bunch of heat on HK, but a few months after the furor died down they raised the prices right back up again.

But yeah, the french are getting a far more reasonable price.

If the sticker shock per gun price wasn't enough that's only the beginning of hk's kicking and gouging of the USMC . One of the best ones is forcing USMC to buy a complete bolt carrier group whenever they need a replacement bolt (which is far more frequent than ideal ESPECIALLY with m855a1) and other fun little things like that.

The USMC did an extremely poor job negotiating their contract and it's costing them shocking amounts of money because of this. 

It's sort of the polar opposite situation to what I'd wish upon the bundeswehr (and ultimately my own countries defense budget since every dollar the Germans overpay on guns is one less dollar that actually goes to their not even close to 2% spending obligation)

Then again, let's assume that the Germans try to go with the Steyr retrofit option...

Does anyone here seriously believe that HK isn't going to lawfare their way into dragging that approach to a standstill too?

I don't.

Truthfully, they should probably just give up and buy 416's or 433's since we all know HK will happily bankrupt itself in pursuit of obstructionism if the bundeswehr tries to do anything but just hand over the money to HK.

poliorcetes

25-May

As far as I remember, the other candidates were Galil and Sig 552. Sig one was too much expensive, and Galil was outdated. After that, HK achieved a monocultive position: Spanish MoD don't adquiere systems outside of Obendorf :(. And lately we even don't built them

poliorcetes

25-May

how would a receiver substitution be far from a field strip and change of the old polymer receiver?

I mean, disassembling like this doesn't seem to need a armorer, and neither changing the receiver for another one...

stancrist

25-May

Poli, I don't know enough about the G36 to answer that.

stancrist

25-May

roguetechie said:

In the replacement program you don't have to break down the guns sort and gauge the parts refinish them reorder out of spec pieces etc....

Yeah.  I was only addressing your statement that the upgrade option would require pulling the old guns back to depots, and cost money to do so.  The replacement option would also require pulling the old guns back to depots, incurring the same costs.

I was remiss in not saying that I agree with you regarding cost of disassembly, sorting, gauging, and other aspects of doing an upgrade.

roguetechie said:

In a way going to a new rifle is "easier" on several fronts.

Concur.

EmericD

26-May

I don't understand how the price could widely change during one contract.

Do you mean that the USMC had a good price for the 50,000 guns they ordered after the initial M27 contract (~8400 rifles), then the price goes up again after that contract because they wanted more guns?

The only information I have is that the price tag was around 1300$ per rifle for the 50,000 rifles contract, to be delivered between 2018 and 2023.