gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

LMAO Germany adopts an AR-15   Small Arms <20mm

Started 14/9/20 by QuintusO; 35071 views.
roguetechie

16/9/20

There are other people who make barrels with that same steel though. HK definitely does not have a lock on that particular thing.

gatnerd

17/9/20

Do you know which other companies are using the same 'HK Steel?"

I seem to recall the steel was French? 

roguetechie

17/9/20

I don't have that information offhand but iirc it's an aermet derivative steel and there's people doing high end CHF barrels using it here stateside.

I'll look at my notes

QuintusO

17/9/20

Aubert & Duval is the supplier. I can't share the exact alloy, but it's a ChroMoVan steel.

JPeelen

17/9/20

The typical German military barrel steel alloy is 32 CrMoV 12 10 and indeed I have seen batches from French steel mills.   

QuintusO

17/9/20

Guess I can post this now, then.

Attachments
In reply toRe: msg 24
gatnerd

18/9/20

Thanks guys, very helpful.

Do either of you know the H&K RC heat treatment?

I seem to recall that the standard US 4150 was RC 32-34, whereas the H&K was RC 42-46?

I'm a pocket knife nerd originally, prior to getting into guns. Thats an area where steel and RC harnesses are both tremendously important to overall edge retention. 

So I imagine that using a harder RC treatment would also factor into overall 'rifling retention.' 

For example, a typical bayonet is 51-53RC vs 59-61 for a modern, high end pocket knife. That doesnt seem like much of a spread, but theres a huge difference in overall edge retention. Even the difference between 57 and 60rc is noticeable on a pocket knife.

QuintusO

18/9/20

That's about right.

In reply toRe: msg 26
tidusyuki

18/9/20

I'm still not in the clear of why they decided to go with Haenel's AR aside from the rumors(?) that it's supposed to be a cheaper alt. of the 416.

I thought the bundeswehr have already fond of their 416. And The 433 might be more pricey but it got a lot of new features and improvements from the G36. Did H&K messed up in the run somewhere? or did the Haenel and Caracal just have a more powerful political power?

Mr. T (MrT4)

18/9/20

52mio Eur cheaper is a huge chunk on a 250mio Eur deal, the problem is if that saving is mostly down to creative accounting in regards to firearm life span  being longer due to that replaceable cam thingy.