gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

LMAO Germany adopts an AR-15   Small Arms <20mm

Started 14/9/20 by QuintusO; 41232 views.
poliorcetes

10-Oct

Western democracies need to change a lot of aspects of such processes. And European democracies add injuries to the insult under the form of sisiphic certification processes and methastasizing growing of normatives and eurorules. As one engineer friend of mine says, "UAS normatives are being written by the enemy"

In reply toRe: msg 197
gatnerd

29-Nov

Well, the G36 replacement may be stalled, but Germany has decided on an optic, the 1-4x ELCAN. Overall a decent but unspectacular choice. 

https://www.armyrecognition.com/defense_news_november_2021_global_security_army_industry/raytheon_elcan_teams_with_leonardo_germany_to_deliver_main_combat_sights_to_the_bundeswehr.html

Raytheon ELCAN, a Raytheon Technologies subsidiary, and LEONARDO Germany, a Leonardo SpA subsidiary, were awarded a contract for 107,929 sights to provide the main combat sight (HKV) for the German Armed Forces.

tidusyuki

30-Nov

Any news about HK433? Does it still on development? Really curious about the final design.

Afaik there has been many changes done to the receivers

BruhMomento

30-Nov

they changed reciever? cool

poliorcetes

30-Nov

I find it absurd. They should have adquired the lowest number of optic possible for really first line units and wait for market development.

gatnerd

1-Dec

poliorcetes said:

They should have adquired the lowest number of optic possible for really first line units and wait for market development

It does seem like they are putting the cart before the horse buying the optics before they've even sorted out the rifle situation. 

And yes, given the developments with smart optics, and even just the continued refinement of 1-6x and 1-8x optics, it does seem an odd choice to go alllll in on the pretty dated Spectre 1-4x, which was introduced in 2003. 

On the flipside though, the Spectre is reportedly a very sharp, durable optic, which offers pretty comparable performance to a RDS + 4X ACOG in a single, non ITAR optic. So certainly better then the legacy Hensholdt G36 optic, or just mounting an Aimpoint RDS. 

RovingPedant

1-Dec

gatnerd said...

It does seem like they are putting the cart before the horse buying the optics before they've even sorted out the rifle situation. 

I’ve known a few people who have brought a new rifle for their glass.

poliorcetes

1-Dec

absolutelly. It's a nice choice by itself and compared with others of the same category. But 100.000?? All 100k rifles are going to use them?

Specially if finally Bundeswehr is going to adopt a retrofit kit for the G36

stancrist

1-Dec

poliorcetes said:

100.000?? All 100k rifles are going to use them?

Is there some reason all 100k should not use them?

roguetechie

2-Dec

Probably the best argument for that is that not only is the DR not light but 4x is often not enough these days.

Anyone know what the eye relief is on the DR in 1x?

The one thing I don't particularly like about LPVO's is the touchy eye relief and eye box with them.

Im actually considering grabbing the primary arms / holosun optic with the ACSS Vulcan reticle which actually shows you directly in the sight picture if your alignment is off with it to plop on top of my 1-8's and 1-4's.

This will add even more weight which is far from optimal though and will probably necessitate going to a sopmod style stock instead of my MFT minimalists I tend to prefer.

JSSAP is working on some very interesting stuff in the way of 3d printed optics including digitally enhanced versions, we'll see how that goes.