gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

LMAO Germany adopts an AR-15   Small Arms <20mm

Started 14/9/20 by QuintusO; 114767 views.
graylion

3/4/22

schnuersi said:

But IMHO the question is if a LMG is really needed in mech inf squads if a SAW is available.

What is the distinction?

gatnerd

3/4/22

LMG is a machine gun primarily intended to be fired from a bipod and carried by infantry. This is a mechanical distinction of design.

A SAW is basically whatever a military chooses to issue to infantry squads as their primary source of automatic fire. This could be a LMG (M249 US army) a GPMG (MG3 Austria) or an automatic rifle (BAR/M27 Marines.) So it’s a matter of usage rather then design.

At least that’s my take. 

schnuersi

3/4/22

graylion said:

What is the distinction?

Sorry, i am lazy.
If i am refering to a SAW i mean a SCHV, belt fed on bipod.
While an LMG is a full caliber machine gun on bipod.
Using two three letter abbreviations is very convenient.

graylion

3/4/22

yeah, just trying to figure out terminology. SCHV?

schnuersi

3/4/22

graylion said:

yeah, just trying to figure out terminology. SCHV?

small caliber high velocity.
I though this one is common knowledge. Sorry.

Farmplinker

3/4/22

Extruded MG receiver? I like it! 

One thing about AM, though. People are, for whatever reason, willing to accept products made from it than other methods. "This has MIM parts". And do I really need to bring up some reactions to castings? 

Hopefully we'll see improvements in "acceptable" technology for weapons production.

roguetechie

4/4/22

Extrusions are great.... Almost sounds like you guys are inadvertantly describing the ots-128 in 7.62 NATO here.

In reply toRe: msg 308
JPeelen

6/4/22

According to the website "soldat-und-technik.de":

Today, the judgment of Düsseldorf High Court (Oberlandesgericht) had been scheduled to be handed down.

Instead, the court decided that it needs to re-enter into questioning witnesses. If I understood the legal language of the courts public statement correctly:

The court was informed that Heckler & Koch, before the German Patent Court, changed its way of arguing to defend the validity of its scupper (thats how I call it) patent. This is the patent allegedly infringed by the Haenel rifle candidate. 

The court sees the change of HKs position regarding the patent as substantial enough to re-discuss the matter in court, among other things re-assessing the chances that the scupper patent can be upheld at all.   

P.S.: For those who wonder: a scupper (German: Speigatt) has been for centuries the way Navies got rid of unwanted water on the deck: let it flow back into the sea through appropriate holes.   

• Edited 06 April 2022 14:39  by  JPeelen
In reply toRe: msg 309
gatnerd

12/4/22

Looks like the much hoped for German re-armament may already be on the rocks:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/12/world/europe/germany-russia-ukraine-war.html

Archive to bypass paywall:

https://archive.ph/JJhE7

Whole article is good, but this section jumped out:

Of course, this is from an American newspaper, which may be coloring the analysis.

For our German members, hows this stack up with what you guys are hearing / sensing? 

Is re-armament still on, or is it now being questioned?