gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

LMAO Germany adopts an AR-15   Small Arms <20mm

Started 14/9/20 by QuintusO; 36445 views.
tidusyuki

4/3/21

LMAO indeed, so it will be another AR in the end. What about the 433?

Well, idk why but i really want the haenel to win. They seems to be a good (or at least decent) option for a service rifle. The price is quite cheap too compared to 416.

But looking at the directions of the whole dumpster fire of a procurement, in the end I'm sure it will be HK who will have the last laugh knowing they can't lose.

poliorcetes

4/3/21

But FCS is going to offer a really sub par performance if it's mounted on a 5.56 rifle. It will excel with a much more energetic cartridge, and such cartridge is going to be heavy if it is conventional.

Textron entry has been in development the last 23 years at least. I bet for CT cartridge

Mr. T (MrT4)

4/3/21

FCS is still by leaps and bounds the largest leap you can make in lethality, as you are going to see a considerable increase in the hit probability and range. New cartridge not so much. Combat ranges are not extending,

Afghan experience is fucking up the data and generations of military folks that went through it. Also, keep in mind immensely corrupt US military procurement system is very political and as you se Marines literally had to smuggle through the IAR with lots of smoke and mirrors to fool the politicians to get the HK M27, or Navy its SuperHornet. I don't see much political capital being invested into the NGSW

We might see polymer cases and stuff,but that is just about it . 

This is literally what is going on.

poliorcetes

4/3/21

FCS combined with active stabilization is going to extend the practical range of IW by a generous margin. And when (and not if) combined with an optionally electronic trigger (electronic trigger with a mechanical backup), then it is going to be increased even more.

I'm agree with you that Afgan experience is influencing analysis a bit too much. However, there are other scenarios in which that 2000J of added energy are going to be welcomed.  First of all, even M855A1 depends on fragmentation and fragmentation depends on terminal velocity. More energy well conserved and delivered as XM1186 is supposed to do is going to offer practical advantages for that (for instance, not only accuracy at 400m range or even more, but practical effects at those ranges). Think also about obstacle penetration, either in woods or in urban landscapes up to certain point. And having a 4000J cartridge with growth margin both in cartridge and weapon design offers some capabilities against targets protected by ESAPI armor.

We outsiders don't know about NGWS progresses. We just can guess. But as our NATO ROEs are very restrictive on raw and brute force (i.e. using of organic resources from company level to higher levels), squad weapons are going to be increasingly important and it is not possible to increase 5.56 performance meaningfully

And don't forget another aspect of the problem: an operative NGSW is going to be a visual symbol of supremacy. It's like a space shuttle but for squads: we have this galactic rifle and you poors don't. At every parade, people will watch either futuristic weapons, quite far from their father and grandpa's weapons, comparable with those Russians parading at kremlin square with AK.

graylion

5/3/21

I agree. I am currently co-writing a defence policy document for a political party. One of the things we are saying is "closely observe NGSW".

Msg 7720.102 deleted
Farmplinker

5/3/21

So you folks are going to adopt 6.8 Bleedmoor as well if we do?

graylion

5/3/21

We're an opposition party, but if I get my druthers, yes. I really dislike 5.56. If yet again nothing happens, I might argue 6.5 Grendel.

In reply toRe: msg 104
Mr. T (MrT4)

25/4/21

Patent infringement party is getting more amusing by the day.

Now it seems Magpul alleged HK infringed on its patent with Gen3 poly mag , HK had the claims revived by patent attorneys and says that is not the case while Magpul doesn't agree with the findings .

It seems BW is seriously considering Plan B ,which is to uprade the G36 

https://soldat-und-technik.de/2021/04/bewaffnung/26773/system-sturmgewehr-bundeswehr-neue-unklarheiten-bei-patentrechten/

gatnerd

26/4/21

Good grief. 

Thanks for the update. 

I'm curious how the latest version of the G36 is as a rifle:

Height over bore looks pretty brutal through.