autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

40x180   Ammunition 20-57mm

Started 29-Nov by Refleks; 2521 views.
Farmplinker

31-Dec

I think it's  case of better to have and not need, than need and not have.

Also, might this overwhelm APSs so ATGMs can do their job?

renatohm

31-Dec

I do agree with you regarding AP.

An added bonus to increased AP performance, these necked out 40 / 50 also have much heavier HE shells, so I think that, in the end, it's all good anyway.

poliorcetes

31-Dec

But I mean, against which probable adversary or target? I try to insert these concepts in the real world and in actual clashes. 

It's like sabretooth tigers. They have magnificent killing tools, but when megafauna mostly disappear, such sabres were useless. Or dreadnaught run: guns of increasingly more calibre and more and more armour. And suddenly, war ecosystem change and they were useless

What I try to illustrate are actual necessities or lack of them. Western armies need multiple layers of defensive resources against all kind of UAVs and their weapons. The threat is very, very real

Against which adversaries are going to be used such AP medium calibre guns and AP ammo? What is the probability of a clash in which a medium calibre gun is going to be enough decissive? Is there any fact-based reason for increasing calibres beyond "russian threat and their new 57mm turrets"?

DavidPawley

31-Dec

renatohm said:

If the crimp is some 30 mm long, 

which it clearly is not.

Compare the difference in case length to the diameter of the 30mm projectiles: it’s significantly less.

DavidPawley

31-Dec

Perhaps the US Army likes the idea of IFVs being able to penetrate opposing IFV frontal armour, has heard of this thing called APS and prefers to have more than 4 stowed kills.

autogun

2-Jan

DavidPawley said:

renatohm said: If the crimp is some 30 mm long,  which it clearly is not. Compare the difference in case length to the diameter of the 30mm projectiles: it’s significantly less.

I have received a slightly better version of the image, taken by Greg Knowles. I don't know how to show it full-sized (the forum software seems to shrink every image), but the designation on the S40 label says "40 x 180".

renatohm

2-Jan

Maybe you could upload it to Google Photos or something and share the link with us?

renatohm

2-Jan

That works, thanks!

renatohm

2-Jan

I measured both cases using IrfanView (not the most accurate tool ever, but still), and the length of the 40 mm is indeed 180 mm.

Which gets us back to the previous point - either Jane's had a typo (more likely), or a new version was developed after this one was showcased.

Another point deserves mentioning - the 180 mm version already had the pill reduced to 39 mm to allow for some case taper, I wonder how much more they would have to go down is the case was lenghtened even more...