gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

PDW again   Small Arms <20mm

Started 20/12/20 by DavidPawley; 42191 views.
stancrist

31/1/21

EmericD said:

A STANAG for the .300 BLK (7.62x35 mm) is being written, so maybe the round will gain traction after the release of this document?

I doubt it, but perhaps you can provide some insight on the matter.  Do you know of any interest in any NATO armies for issuing a .300 BLK PDW to non-SF troops?

autogun

1/2/21

EmericD said:

A STANAG for the .300 BLK (7.62x35 mm) is being written, so maybe the round will gain traction after the release of this document?

I do hope that it specifies the use of bullets with an ogive shaped to prevent chambering in 5.56mm guns. 

EmericD

1/2/21

stancrist said:

I doubt it, but perhaps you can provide some insight on the matter.  Do you know of any interest in any NATO armies for issuing a .300 BLK PDW to non-SF troops?

I can't speak of other NATO armies, but for France the use of .300 BLK is limited to SF troops who needed to replace their MP5SD with something more potent.

The "general-purpose" PDW is the HK416 F-C, with a 11" barrel, and that's not going to change for a while!

EmericD

1/2/21

autogun said:

I do hope that it specifies the use of bullets with an ogive shaped to prevent chambering in 5.56mm guns. 

Yes, and minimum bullet retention effort to avoid the bullet being pushed into the case during loading.

smg762

1/2/21

Theres no info on the cbj site, i was wondering about the concept in general for PDWs. The round looks like it could be vulnerable to abuse or water.

autogun

1/2/21

smg762 said:

Theres no info on the cbj site, i was wondering about the concept in general for PDWs. The round looks like it could be vulnerable to abuse or water.

There's no reason why it should be.

stancrist

1/2/21

EmericD said:

I can't speak of other NATO armies, but for France the use of .300 BLK is limited to SF troops who needed to replace their MP5SD with something more potent.

AFAIK, that's true of every other NATO army.  I've not heard of any military interest in using .300 BLK as a PDW caliber.

EmericD said:

The "general-purpose" PDW is the HK416 F-C, with a 11" barrel, and that's not going to change for a while!

Thanks, Emeric.  I had forgotten that France uses a 5.56mm SBR as a general-issue PDW.

JPeelen

1/2/21

In my view, playing with bullet shape tolerances and the "retention effort" mentioned by Emeric will simply not work reliably in real world conditions. Firing "7.62x35 NATO" from 5.56x45 NATO will in some circumstances be possible. And that means it will happen. 

Particularly in the currently prevailing atmosphere of in part absurd safety regulations, I am curious who will sign a STANAG that will predictably result in blown up weapons.         

Red7272

1/2/21

JPeelen said:

Particularly in the currently prevailing atmosphere of in part absurd safety regulations, I am curious who will sign a STANAG that will predictably result in blown up weapons. 

Short of putting a belt on the case I don't see how it will work. 

renatohm

1/2/21

One could use 350 Legend as the starting point - base dimensions are different enough to prevent chambering.