autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

PDW again   Small Arms <20mm

Started 20-Dec by DavidPawley; 31541 views.
stancrist

4-Feb

JesseH1234 said:

...for the stated purpose of a PDW, I think the 5.7 kind of nailed things...

5.7 does have some desirable aspects, but it was created before the proliferation of Level IV body armor became an issue.

graylion

4-Feb

well, 5.45x39 has 1.75cc capacity and ~1300J ... 1400J. I get 1500J to 1600J out of a 22mm long cartridge with 1.22cc and much higher pressure in a 10" barrel. We should also remember that both materials and heat treatment have massively progressed since WWII and even the early 70s when 5.45x39 was developed. And a PDW is no meant for regular engagements. It is an "oh f*ck" weapon.

So, we can have similar performance to 5.45x39 in a much smaller frame, especially if we use a larger calibre like 6.5mm.

graylion

4-Feb

stancrist said:

5.7 does have some desirable aspects, but it was created before the proliferation of Level IV body armor became an issue.

Well, nothing short of a .50 BMG seems to penetrate Level IV, so we can discount that I think. 

nincomp

4-Feb

stancrist said...

When the 5.7 is mentioned, I picture its use as depicted in the Star Gate television series where something like a P90 is used as a bullet hose that eventually hits an area with low enough protection that it can do some damage.

edited to make sense (ie replaced "penetration" with "protection")

• Edited 04 February 2021 19:48  by  nincomp
JesseH1234

4-Feb

I mean I agree about the "oh eff" part.   And I get that you can do cool things  by playing with larger bore size make more efficient use of that pressure.  However.....

I looked around to find what your proposed round was, and respectfully I would suggest that not only is a cranked up .357 sig going to weigh more than 5.45/5.56, either the bullet is going to be really light for caliber, and have low sd/bc, or it will be heavy AF.  Also the recoil might be far higher.  My quick back of napkin math was 74% higher bolt thrust vs. 5.56 (for a .357 sig case at 77,000psi), but don't hold me to it. It's also going to have longer/ bulkier mags because of the wider base.  So the weapon likely won't weigh less than the lighter .22 caliber rifles around, or it would be a beast.

Don't get me wrong I''m not making fun of you, I've had similar though experiments as this thread (ultra 9, uber tok, the new BRNO cartridge), I'm just voicing where I landed: those darn Belgians may have got this one just about right.  On the other hand if you could design a cheaper gun for the BRNO or your cartridge, I'm sure American civilians would buy them like crazy. 

stancrist

4-Feb

graylion said:

stancrist said: 5.7 does have some desirable aspects, but it was created before the proliferation of Level IV body armor became an issue.

Well, nothing short of a .50 BMG seems to penetrate Level IV, so we can discount that I think.

Hmm.  Has testing shown the 6.8 NGSW candidates are incapable of penetrating Level IV armor?

stancrist

4-Feb

nincomp said:

When the 5.7 is mentioned, I picture its use as depicted in the Star Gate television series where something like a P90 is used as a bullet hose that eventually hits an area with low enough protection that it can do some damage.

Yeah, that method has been advocated by some here.  I'm skeptical that the military would even consider adopting it.

nincomp

4-Feb

Well, in the TV show it took about 50 rounds per alien, so, using logic, physics and all that good stuff, we could scientifically estimate 25 or so rounds per human bad guy.  That is a lot, I guess.

• Edited 05 February 2021 0:39  by  nincomp
stancrist

4-Feb

graylion said:

...a PDW is no meant for regular engagements. It is an "oh f*ck" weapon.

Heh, heh.  Isn't all combat -- including "regular" engagements -- an "oh f*ck" situation?

gatnerd

5-Feb

stancrist said:

Hmm.  Has testing shown the 6.8 NGSW candidates are incapable of penetrating Level IV armor

Well not 6.8, but pretty close.

SIG's 135gr 6.8 is quoted at 2850fps from its 13" barrel.

Level IV is stopping M993 130gr at 2867fps from 40' away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH8Sls4hxoo

And Chinese Armor is stopping 250gr .338 Tungsten at 200yd...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdRFYmPmetc

Unless they've figured out some radical improvement to Tungsten AP tech, I'd be very surprised if 6.8 NGSW is defeating Level IV out to 100m, much less beyond.

So the idea of a Level IV killing PDW is likely impossible; the Stargate plan of hosing the enemy with full auto in hopes of hitting an unarmored area is likely the path forward for any PDW if armor is a concern. 

Possible exception might be something like the 7.62 SLAP sabot loaded into a .300 BLK case at 62kpsi+.