autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

US long range artillery   Army Guns 20+mm

Started 25-Dec by autogun; 785 views.
autogun

27-Dec

Moose (Beomoose) said:

Truck-sized target, looks like a nice hit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyb_eyxce6E

Nice shot, but if it was GPS guided they had to know the exact location of the truck, and of course that it would remain in place. I suspect that in combat, setting up such a hit would be considerably more difficult with GPS alone - terminal guidance by SAL would be needed, but that means an illuminating drone would have to be close enough to do the job - and a lot of effort is currently being put into detecting and destroying such drones.

Mr. T (MrT4)

27-Dec

From what i have read they chose the GPS as a primary as SAL is not quite as useful  in peer war as its in small wars where drones or boots on the ground provide the targeting 24/7 , its also way more expensive and complex as in addition to GPS needed to get it roughly over the target it also needs a seeker for laser marker.

In any case guided rounds are a great boost too lethality and even relatively cheap as you don't need hundreds of rounds to hit a target. Moving targets were never really domain of the artilery but now if the target track is there they can be.

Now its just a question on how long before rest of the world has the same capability. I am sure there are plenty of Excalibur remains or duds  from Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan already being looked into. Everyone is already fielding MLRS with guided rounds (easier to make)

DavidPawley

28-Dec

Differential GPS + link 16 guidance has demonstrated moving target capability; ISAR GMTI is a fairly standard AESA feature. OFC that still relies on proper target location to begin with.