autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

UAV Gun fighter   General Aircraft topics

Started 27-Mar by Sakpan74Gr; 793 views.
gatnerd

30-Mar

Sakpan74Gr said:

So how about a UAV with the following characteristics: More agile than a fighter, let's say 15g or more.  No internal weapons, therefore smaller, no external weapons and stealthier.  Supercruise would be nice.  Armed with a 20-30mm gun.  Would it be able to come close enough to its target? Then would it's super agility allow it to avoid enemy missiles, and get into a shooting position to hit it's target? If possible the cost of shooting down aircrafts would drop quite a lot. 

I imagine a missile would be cheaper then a complete, supersonic stealth drone with autocannon. 

IE using ground based or air launched, extended range missiles at enemy aircraft, would likely be cheaper then fielding an equivalent number of super drones.

I could see autonomous drones being used for border defense, programed to shoot down any aircraft without the correct 'friend or foe' recognition signal. But I imagine they would be armed with missiles. 

An AC has an effective range of 1-2km; a basic missile brings the range to 35km, with some having ranges of 100km+.

I suspect the aircraft design required to launch a small missile is less then designing it for the recoil/weight/feeding/targeting of an AC.

So it would probably be cheaper to just make a 'super drone' that launches small missiles, which while less ranged then a typical Jet launched missile would still have far better range and hit probability to an AC.

In reply toRe: msg 5
Sakpan74Gr

1-Apr

Maybe some sort of AA Stinger or Mistral carrier? 

That sounds interesting. 

I was thinking of a flying RMK30, that recoilless autocanon tested on the Wiesel. Or if that's too big an "RMK20-25". I was thinking that it would appear out of nowhere, fire a burst and move on to the next target, flying rings around them, with a low operating cost. 

gatnerd

3-Apr

Sakpan74Gr said:

Maybe some sort of AA Stinger or Mistral carrier?  That sounds interesting.  I was thinking of a flying RMK30, that recoilless autocanon tested on the Wiesel. Or if that's too big an "RMK20-25". I was thinking that it would appear out of nowhere, fire a burst and move on to the next target, flying rings around them, with a low operating cost.

A bigger issue would be how these cheap drones are going to be able to detect incoming aircraft. 

Compact radars that can detect aircraft, especially stealthy aircraft, are generally not cheap. 

And a groundbased radar that can detect aircraft should already be firing its ground based AA missiles at those aircraft, not vectoring in drones. 

Really I think the cheap drone role is air to ground offense, not air to air defense.