autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

replacing the A-10 and Apache   General Military Discussion

Started 1-May by smg762; 681 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
RovingPedant

1-May

No, that’s a silly idea.

In reply toRe: msg 1
Mr. T (MrT4)

1-May

A-10 was obsolete the day it rolled of the production line ,they would have been shot out of the skies in horrendous numbers in peer combat, there will be no 1:1 replacement for the task , standoff weapons are the only way to increase survivabilty against organic  AAA and SAM that Russians and Chinese pair with their armor .

If you look at how the US army uses Apache its stand-off, so expect to grow the stand-off ranges to enhance survivability. US navy and Marines use the Cobras much more close in as do most Apache operators their Apaches. 

So if you would want to upgrade the Attack hello force, i would expect more power , more speed , maybe some stealth, but mostly improved stand off missiles and maned unmanned pairing to extend the missile targeting range.

This was the only way to fight against armor with organic anti-aircraft defense, beck then was hugging the terrain   ,now you need more standoff, especially if the terrain doesn't offer much cover 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtgpfTHYb80

smg762

2-May

yes the vulnerability of groundattack craft was one of my main gripes. anyway the other idea was that smart gun, literally like a rheinmetal 'AHEAD' airburst, but underneath a chopper or VTOL.

currently their limited to battleships and defending forward bases in iraq. Seems a shame not to make them more mobile by putting them on planes.  Also something like a multiplex / duplex subcaliber round (about 10mm).

In reply toRe: msg 4
larrikin2

2-May

I think the future for close air support is not going to be manned aircraft at all, but rather a drone swarm equipped with sensors and designators in numbers to give a high degree of redundancy, and terminally guided munitions fired from artillery and mortars, with small missiles also in the mix.

Farmplinker

2-May

My understanding is that if the Big European War occurred, helicopters would take out the air defense systems, then the A-10s would take out the tanks and IFVs.

Red7272

2-May

Farmplinker said:

My understanding is that if the Big European War occurred, helicopters would take out the air defense systems, then the A-10s would take out the tanks and IFVs.

lol.

poliorcetes

4-May

Hey, maybe the two first hours it would be like this. After that, or even sooner, nukes would start their only fly

BTW, the future of support in a contested space is unmanned, distributed, with massive swarms and a lot of NLOS / stand off power involved.

Thing is, both sides would do that