gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

US SOCOM's MRGG project   General Military Discussion

Started 12-May by BruhMomento; 1912 views.
In reply toRe: msg 2
BruhMomento

12-May

keep in mind the xm5 and xm250 can both be converted to 6.5

In reply toRe: msg 2
BruhMomento

12-May

TWO CHARGING HANDLES?

graylion

12-May

I know that SF always get to do their own thing, but lack of commonality in rifle ammo strikes me as a bit weird.

Edit: Also why? I thought SOCOM was watching NGWS?

• Edited 12 May 2022 7:53  by  graylion
AndyMcKay

12-May

Three, it's also got an AR style pull handle.

EmericD

12-May

graylion said:

Edit: Also why? I thought SOCOM was watching NGWS?

They did.

And they resumed their 6.5 mm Creedmoor program a few month ago, the SIG 6.8x51 mm was probably not what they were looking for...

Apsyda

12-May

I assume this is one of those cases where FN had the gun mostly designed already before the NGSW program wrapped up, so they're obligated to take a look at the gun now? Given that its going to take a few years for XM5's to disseminate, I suppose a stop gap rifle like this could get a small contract in the interim.

In reply toRe: msg 1
BruhMomento

13-May

https://soldiersystems.net/2019/06/05/ussocom-small-arms-update-2019/

so kinda parallel to the ngsw socom was also procuring new weapons and switching to 6.5

firstly for the ar-dmr-sniper role the fn mrgg (prev fn scar)
for the cqb carbine the rattler
for the gpmg role the sig mg338?
for the sniper role the 338 mrad

views?

Mr. T (MrT4)

13-May

I am currently working on getting bunch of 6.5creedmoor rifles to our SF guys, we ordered some Haenel CR6.5 . We couldnt get the FN SCARS in any reasonable timeframe as the 6.5CM variant would need to come from US , we also added some 6.5barrels to bolt action orders at AI. We are going for rather short barrel configurations as they are always paired with suppresors , 50m effective range you loose with 16 over 20' barrel is a worthy compromise especialy as you are still gaining some range over 7.62x51

MDM22 is some Frankenstein alright ,3 charging handles, bolt-on forward assist, and SR25 mags .

6.5 Creedmoor is a ready solution, not future vaporware both in terms of guns and ammo. In guns where you can just swap barrel that is all it takes. 6.5creedmoor ammo is manufactured by many manufacturers. Nammo-Lapua already offer AP bullets, we are still waiting for AP ammo to be made .

We are trailing ZCO 420 on the gas guns and Stainer I7 IFS  on the Bolt guns , to see if there is merit to scope with ballistics computer

Guardsman26

21-Jun

Agree with you 100% on 6.5 mm Creedmoor. An excellent calibre with better range and terminal effectiveness than 7.62 mm NATO in a lighter package and less recoil. The 120 grain EPR-style bullet developed for it is superb. I don't know why the US Army didn't just develop this further. The velocity could easily be increased to 1,000 mps for better body armour defeat in a standard brass cartridge.