Fontina-Stuffed Pretzel Bread
Baked pretzel bread sandwiches stuffed with ham, fontina cheese, sautéed onions, roasted red peppers, fresh herbs. Recipe by Chef Govind Armstrong.
1/2 cup julienned yellow onion
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/3 cup roasted red bell peppers, cut in 1/2-inch strips
2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
2 cups shredded fontina cheese
1 cup diced smoked baked ham
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
4 (6-inch) pretzel rolls
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. In a small skillet, sauté the onion in oil until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, toss the sautéed onions with the peppers, parsley, thyme, cheese, and ham. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. To hollow the pretzel rolls, cut off one end and set aside.
5. Using a thin-bladed knife, gently cut the center out of each bread, leaving 3/8-inch around the edge. Use a small spoon to scrape out the inside of the bread, and discard or save for another use.
6. Stuff one-fourth of the filling mixture into the pretzel breads by using the end of a wooden spoon to gently push the filling into the bread. Replace the cut-off end, and wrap each bread with foil, leaving the foil open on top.
7. Place the stuffed breads on a baking sheet. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until the bread is crisp and the filling is warm. Slice and serve.
Makes 4 servings.