International News & Affairs -  Brexit Update (119 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 10) 

https://www.apnews.com/dc3a143f9b2a4c92887cc3f5a7f604ec

LONDON (AP) — Britain and the European Union traded ill-tempered barbs Tuesday as the U.K. said a Brexit deal might be impossible, while insisting it was still working for one with just over three weeks until its scheduled departure from the bloc.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s office said EU intransigence had led to a breakdown in negotiations, prompting a top European leader to warn against playing a “stupid blame game” — and chide Johnson in Latin.

Johnson’s office gave a gloomy assessment after his call with German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Tuesday morning.

In a statement to British media, Downing Street said Merkel had told Johnson that “a deal is overwhelmingly unlikely” unless the U.K. agreed to let Northern Ireland continue to follow EU customs rules in order to maintain an open border with EU member Ireland.

That is something the British government says it can’t accept. Downing Street said that “if this represents a new established position, then it means a deal is essentially impossible not just now but ever.” How people and goods will move across the Irish border is the main sticking point to a deal.

The German government confirmed that Merkel and Johnson had spoken but declined to comment on the substance of “confidential conversations.”

European Commission spokeswoman Mina Andreeva said “the EU position has not changed. We want a deal. We are working for a deal with the U.K.”

European Council President Donald Tusk tweeted testily that “what’s at stake is not winning some stupid blame game.”

“At stake is the future of Europe and the UK as well as the security and interests of our people,” he said, addressing Johnson. “You don’t want a deal, you don’t want an extension, you don’t want to revoke, quo vadis?” — a Latin phrase meaning “where are you going?”

Despite the grim mood music, British officials insisted that they still hope to strike a deal before Britain’s scheduled Oct. 31 departure date — although Johnson has also said the U.K. will leave even it one is not struck.

To: All  (2 of 10) 
 78386.2 in reply to 78386.1 

To: 8645 (RedBV) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 10) 
 78386.3 in reply to 78386.1 

Brexit is simply a concept, the U.K. has not left, and is still full member of the U.E., and Will remain so until either a separation agreement is muaually agreed upon, or the U.K. unilaterally (hard Brexit) leaves. This "limbo" caused by the U.K. government, is causing all sorts of stability problems, and costs. For example our airport (PMI) which would Rank 10th if in the U.S. has had to spend millions, doubling our immigratin and customs facility based on an event that has not, or may not even happen. The vast majority of our incomming airport passengers come from the E.U. and simply walk off the pane. However the second largest number of incomming are from the U.K. which means Passports, immigration, luggage inspection, customs.

I am anticipating a personal scheduling problema as I am teaching in Scotland at the end of the month, but returning in early November. In the past because I don´t check luggage, the plane lands here I simply walk off and catch the airport bus. If Brexit goes through this Will mean long lines, Passport control, customs, and inspection - Good for a couple of hours, meaning I Will miss the last airport bus home, and have to take my car to Palma to park for over a week just to be on the safe side.

• Edited October 12, 2019 4:08 am  by  RGoss99

Reply   Options 

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconOct-12 10:09 AM 
To: 8645 (RedBV) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 10) 
 78386.4 in reply to 78386.1 

Maybe the US needs to invite GB to join NAFTA, it is such a resounding success to all members, another might make it a real party?

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

To: RGoss99  (5 of 10) 
 78386.5 in reply to 78386.3 

That would be aggravating . . .

To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 10) 
 78386.6 in reply to 78386.4 

Ya wanna discuss NAFTA start a thread about it . . .

To: 8645 (RedBV) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 10) 
 78386.7 in reply to 78386.5 

What is also agrivating is that in this insecure situation, it is impossible to purchase travel insurance, to cover Brexit related missed connections. For example my return is by British Air, one stop - Edinburgh-London-Palma. If for some Brexit reason, the flight into Edinburgh is dalayed, this will snowball. I can get a flight from London to Palma, but the train from Glasgow to London not only costs more then the flight from Scotland to Palma, but the connection time from King´s Cross to London City Airport  allows me 2 hours. Again British rail is horrible, usually late, the cross london connection involves the underground and another train, plus check in time and security - this would be a close call, and probably involve an expensive hotel stay in London, because without insurance, and no airline responsibility, the airline would not have to provide meals and hotel. If I felt there would be a problem, It would be better to stay an extra night in Glasgow, but there is no refund on  a prepaid ticket.

The world is changing. Back in the 60s, I lived in the L.A. area, and taught classes in S.F. the flight cost 25$, no security, all I had to do is show up at the airport 35 minutes ahead of my flight, walk on, walk off. 

This is an anti Brit off topic.

Not only does the U.K. not use the Euro, but while their electricity is compatible, their plugs are not.

Years ago, at St Andrews, I ran an indictrination course for American 3rd year abroad students. I explained that while such things as hair driery had a voltage switch, the difference was such that an American hairdrier would not survive the first term. Next day a girl complained that when she bought a U.K. hair drier, it did not come with a plug (how cheap she said). I said no that was smart because until she got to her dorm or residence, she would have to decide what plug  to purchase since U.K. sockets are not standard, usual then was round pin but no the same as the E.U. or square pin, three prong. 

Last Spring, I was a guide-coordinator for a group from Bengal, where India still uses U.K. plugs, but this was Spain. Fortunately I had a set o adaptors for their phones lap tops etc. In two weeks I will be in Scotland, and have already packed a set of adapters for both U.K. type sockets, important because my lectures require my European lap top.

There are two down sizes to national pride/chauvinism. The U.K. drives on the wrong side of the road, and is aware of this when here, but when they rent bikes, they forget that pedestrian and biking conventions are the same as in the U.S. so I keep running into

Brits on bikes in my bike lane, and getting a look like it is my fault. Fortunately the U.K. got smart around 1970 and went decimal for currency, weights and measures. On the other hand the U.S. which got smart with its currency after the American revolution, it is probably the only country in the world where Britesh weights and measres are still used. Like America we have dealership garages for cars, but outside the city, most work on cars is done in one off garages, which can´t handle american vehicles because they can´t afford two sets of tools. In my farm village, the most common vehicles are CAT and John Deere tractors, but if there are engine problems, they have to be towed to a distant dealership.  Bad for U.S. business not just in vehicles, but other things as well - converter and two sets of measuring divices for cooking, our beds are metric so fitted sheets don´t fit.  

To: RGoss99  (8 of 10) 
 78386.8 in reply to 78386.7 

Gonna be interesting . . .

To: 8645 (RedBV) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 10) 
 78386.9 in reply to 78386.1 

LONDON (AP) — Britain and the European Union traded ill-tempered barbs Tuesday as the U.K. said a Brexit deal might be impossible, while insisting it was still working for one with just over three weeks until its scheduled departure from the bloc.

This problem has come about because the EU demanded we accept "Free Movement of Labour" (along with free movement of goods and services and capital).

But we're an island - we have islander ways and the further we are from the capital the more islander we feel. We reject London - but in an islander sort of way, we are just as British as they are, but in a proper "earthy" sort of way.

What we don't have is a continental-like draw across national borders to a foreign country or a foreign city.

From: 8645 (RedBV) DelphiPlus Member IconOct-13 10:04 PM 
To: BerrySteph  (10 of 10) 
 78386.10 in reply to 78386.9 

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.