Polls & Quizzes -  paperback vs hardcover (302 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 21) 

If you have a choice between buying a paperback copy or a hardcover version of your book (or a Nook/Kindle version, for that matter) which do you buy --- and why.  Give your reasons.

Reply   Options 

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-29 10:17 AM 
To: alankell  (2 of 21) 
 7151.2 in reply to 7151.1 

I will usually opt for kindle ... for various reasons.  It has just been recently that I can read paperbacks and hardbacks, so I will go slowly to all the print books I have .. while still reading on my kindle.

Before my eyesight got diminished,  I would have opted for paperback, maybe later buying the hardback to put on my keeper shelf.  Some of my decisions were based on what I could afford .. how much the books cost.  For a book that I will probably only read once, it seems silly to spend $8 for a paperback, when I can get it     for my kindle for $1.99

To: alankell  (3 of 21) 
 7151.3 in reply to 7151.1 

All things equal, hard cover. It holds better and you can place physical book marks. The print is usually clearer. Looks better in the library.

Paperback second as electronic books have a tendency to change and you have no access to the original. Some one in the Korean war moved to Vietnam and moved again so that that person is contemporary. Other books change endings to placate those that do not like the ending. With electronics that is no paper trail.

Kindle is a good choice. Easer to carry. Quick to page through. Excellent when you have no room for a library. Corrections are made for you in the background. Most important is text-to-speak which reads the book for you and helps you pace through the slow parts. You have time to thing while still moving forward in the book. If you buy the recording at the same time then the page is highlighted where you are reading.

The drawback with any electronic versions again is that they can change on a whim. Also, you have to be rich enough to purchase the electronics to read. What if the technology changes and that version of electronics is not accessible?  What if (the unthinkable) Amazon goes out of business? Amazons main focus is no longer books.

To: All 

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 21) 
 7151.4 in reply to 7151.2 

I was disappointed that Nook's prices were so high.  Not much lower than B&N paperbacks, or at least that was the case 5-6 years ago.  Nook does have many titles that are $1 or free, but those titles are mostly things I don't care to own.  Sandford books are all at a premium price.  So are Dick Francis, Tony Hillerman, James Patterson, Michael Connelly...

If I think I'm going to read a book only once, I won't buy it.  I buy to re-read many times.  If I buy a book that flat out isn't a good read, I'll carry it to a doctor's office or a car repair waiting room and leave it there.  But I don't buy hardcovers so they'll look good on a shelf.  I buy paperbacks because they're cheaper, and I buy them used if I can find them.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-29 3:44 PM 
To: alankell  (5 of 21) 
 7151.5 in reply to 7151.4 

The price was what kept me away ... I've been pretty happy with my kindle.

Most of the hardbacks I have are a part of a series .. a series that I will read again...

From: Alfi (THIALFI) DelphiPlus Member IconApr-29 4:12 PM 
To: alankell  (6 of 21) 
 7151.6 in reply to 7151.1 

I rarely buy books. When I do, I go for the cheapest I can find.

"What's good for me is being able to decide what's good for me." -- Chairman Alfi

To: Alfi (THIALFI) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 21) 
 7151.7 in reply to 7151.6 

I also rarely buy books.  !st reason is lack of space for a library.  2nd, is that with my deteriorating eyesight, I'd need all of them in large print.  So, I use my  kindle more and more each day.  If the font is too small, I can increase it.  If the font is too hard to read, I can change it.  And, the storage space is minimal. 

Many paperbacks are way too small print for me.  Even many of the larger books have fine print.  Fine print that might not fe fine to you can be unreadable to me.  Again, this doesn't happen with my Kindle.

Only problem I've seen with my Kindle is that most of the free ebook sites that I've found us the EPUB format.  And, my Kindle can't read that.  They tell me that an ebook in MOBI format can be read, but, so far, none of the ones I've "sent" to my Kindle have even appeared on it.  Let alone be able to read it there.  Been told that just transferring a MOBI ebook to my Kindle is fine, that Kindle can read that.  But, I haven't tried that as yet.  Want to know more about it before I simply copy a MOBI ebook to my Kindle.  Downloading a Kindle ebook from Amazon works fine, but, Amazon sells Kindle and they probably know more about what is needed for the download than I do.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-29 10:32 PM 
To: DodgerRon  (8 of 21) 
 7151.8 in reply to 7151.7 

Only problem I've seen with my Kindle is that most of the free ebook sites that I've found us the EPUB format.  And, my Kindle can't read that. 

*if you get the files sent to your email, just forward the email to your own kindle address and in the subject line write in CONVERT

They will automatically convert it to mobi so that you can read it on your kindle

*If you get a mobi file ... then just forward to your kindle address .. no need to write convert in the subject line

You will get a message from amazon/kindle asking you to verify that it was you who sent the email

* I've just got in the habit to ask  for any books (other than the ones you get on amazon) you get from places like Book Funnel to be sent your home email address

that's all there is to it

• Edited April 29, 2021 10:35 pm  by  Linda (LoveToRead)

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 21) 
 7151.9 in reply to 7151.8 

>

>*if you get the files sent to your email, just forward the email to your own kindle address and in the subject line write in CONVERT

>They will automatically convert it to mobi so that you can read it on your kindle

?

How do I find out my own kindle address.  Most of the books that I've downloaded have come from Amazon.  The online e-library that my local library uses sends them to me through Amazon.

>

>*If you get a mobi file ... then just forward to your kindle address .. no need to write convert in the subject line

>

I have mobi files sent to my email address and then I just download them to my kindle.  Seems to work just fine.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-30 4:30 AM 
To: DodgerRon  (10 of 21) 
 7151.10 in reply to 7151.9 

How do I find out my own kindle address.

Go to Amazon

Go to Manage Content and Devices

Go to Preferences

Scroll down --- Personal Document Settings

See -- Send to kindle e-mail settings

This will show you your kindle email address

Scroll down .. Approved Personal Documents E-Mail List

Make sure to add YOUR home email address

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.