IN THE NEWS -  Authors to Earn Royalties on 2nd Hand Bo (131 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-2 8:18 PM 
To: All  (1 of 7) 

Authors to earn royalties on secondhand books for first time

Unlike regular book sales or library borrowing, authors do not receive a penny from the sale of secondhand editions of their works – but a new scheme dreamed up by used booksellers is set to change this for the first time.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/jun/01/authors-to-earn-royalties-on-secondhand-books-for-first-time

Reply   Options 

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 7) 
 7299.2 in reply to 7299.1 

Where will this end?

Ford to earn sales income on secondhand cars.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-3 8:17 PM 
To: bernie44444  (3 of 7) 
 7299.3 in reply to 7299.2 

Lord only knows!

sales tax on yard sales???

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 7) 
 7299.4 in reply to 7299.1 

That could end up hurting the sales of used books.  Those that operate used book stores, in order to send the proper amount of Royalties to the ALCS without making less profit, will most likely find they need to raise the prices of the books they sell. That, in turn, could result in fewer sales depending, of course, on how much more is charged for used books.

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-15 9:26 AM 
To: Meriana  (5 of 7) 
 7299.5 in reply to 7299.4 

I totally agree!   I do think authors would probably support this plan, but in the end, I don't see anyone being happy

To: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 7) 
 7299.6 in reply to 7299.5 

The book store owners may have forgotten that these days more, and more people are doing their reading on a Kindle instead of making the purchase of an actual book. Places like Amazon often offer a book for $0.99, or even free for the Kindle user. 

I think you're right, no one is going to be happy in the end.  Well except for maybe the Kindle users

From: Linda (LoveToRead) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-15 2:24 PM 
To: Meriana  (7 of 7) 
 7299.7 in reply to 7299.6 

Well except for maybe the Kindle users

If they start charging a surtax on used books .. it won't be too long for them to also tax an e-book

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.