Enjoy Delphi Forums ad free! Click here.
Anxiety / Panic / Stress -  The Fight Over Facemasks (52 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Sassy (MrsSassy) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostOct-12 8:27 PM 
To: All  (1 of 1) 

The Fight Over Facemasks

The best advice for an author preparing for an interview is, “read your book.” I have a Q&A with a bookstore tonight, so I re-read mine.

I found a mistake.

In April my publisher, Changemakers Books, assigned a few authors the task of producing short books about the coronavirus pandemic in 20 days. The books were published on May 15th as the Resilience series.

Mine, Resilience: Handling Anxiety in a Time of Crisis, is one of them.

I’m proud of it. It contains helpful information and a few people have contacted me and told me the book positively changed their lives. That’s the best an author can hope for.

Since I wrote the book in April about an ongoing event, I had to project into the future a bit. This is where I made the mistake. I tell a few stories about people in the city and how they’re responding to the shutdown and to each other.  I wrote that even with social distancing people were coming together to help each other. I wrote that although with asymptomatic transmission we are threats to each other things still seem positive and cooperative.

I wrote that no one was angry. I had no idea at that time that people would get so worked up about wearing masks.

Of course the length of the shutdown, the insecure reopening and uncertainty about the future have led to a lot of frustration. How uncertainty fuels anxiety is a key subject of my book.

The protests about racial injustice, which no one saw coming in April, released pent up anger which has been simmering for years. Massive collective anxiety was expressed along with differing points of view.

The news cycle is very fast and always changing. One event can make a person angry even as it’s quickly replaced in the media by another developing compelling story. That anger, too, is fueled by anxiety, and I deal with anger and anxiety in the book.

Read more:  https://blogs.psychcentral.com/older-bipolar/2020/07/the-fight-over-facemasks/?utm_source=Psych+Central+Weekly+Newsletter&utm_campaign=a3963c073f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_09_05_02_25_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c648d0eafd-a3963c073f-30471965

Sassy

Forums Owner 20 years on Delphi

*Hearts That Hear*Mental Health Support

Forums.delphiforums.com/comfortplace/messages

First Discussion>>

Enjoy Delphi Forums ad free!Click here.
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.