*Depression, PTSD, Trauma* -  Shyness is a feeling of fear or ? (86 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Sassy (MrsSassy) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-2 5:03 PM 
To: Magdalena_Tx DelphiPlus Member Icon  (1 of 6) 

Shyness is a feeling of fear or discomfort when being around other people, especially in new situations or among strangers. It’s an unpleasant feeling of self-consciousness — a fear of what some people believe others are thinking.

This fear can inhibit a person's ability to do or say what they want. It can also prevent the formation of healthy relationships.

Shyness is often linked to low self-esteem. It may also be one of the causes of social anxiety.

Types of shyness:

Shyness can vary in strength. Many people feel mild feelings of discomfort that are easily overcome. Others feel extreme fear of social situations, and this fear can be debilitating. Inhibition, withdrawal from social activities, anxiety, and depression can result from shyness.

Shyness encompasses a broad spectrum of behaviors. It’s normal for children to sometimes feel shy in new situations. Perceptions of shyness may also be cultural.

Some cultures, such as many of those in the United States, tend to regard it negatively. Others, such as some Asian cultures, tend to regard shyness more positively.

What are the causes of shyness?

About 15 percent of infants are born with a tendency toward shyness. Research has shown biological differences in the brains of shy people.

But a propensity for shyness also is influenced by social experiences. It’s believed that most shy children develop shyness because of interactions with parents.

Parents who are authoritarian or overprotective can cause their children to be shy. Children who aren’t allowed to experience things may have trouble developing social skills.

To read more click here: > READ ON

Sassy

Forums Owner 20 years on Delphi

*Hearts That Hear*Mental Health Support

Forums.delphiforums.com/comfortplace/messages

To: Sassy (MrsSassy) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 6) 
 99711.2 in reply to 99711.1 

i am shy till i get to know someone.that is mostly in real life.

Lena

Staff Member at

*Hearts* That Hear Mental Health Support

Open for 18 years on Delphi Forums

http://forums.delphiforums.com/ComfortPlace/messages

To: Magdalena_Tx DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 6) 
 99711.3 in reply to 99711.2 

(((((Lena)))))

Me too hon! I would drive around for hours looking for some place, rather than ask a stranger for directions. I am much better now, but still prefer to write if I really have something to say.

I remember being shy at 4. I was in the bakery with my mom and this huge jolly lady loomed over the counter and said "Isn't he a SWEET Little Boy!" and I ran and hid behind Mom, peeking out fetchingly to see if she was still there... 8^)

From: Sassy (MrsSassy) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-26 2:07 PM 
To: LifeMasque  (4 of 6) 
 99711.4 in reply to 99711.3 

Babe MOST children at the age of 4 either do what you did or they are leery of strangers so your actions where totally normal for your age hon!

I'm happy you are better now with strangers but I do have some Mama Duck advice for you that is backed up by medical research and is proven to be extremely effective on rewiring your brain but if your not interested in hearing about it I will zip it! LOL

Love ya much! (((hugs)))

Always Your Sassy

Sassy

From: Sassy (MrsSassy) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJul-26 2:18 PM 
To: LifeMasque  (5 of 6) 
 99711.5 in reply to 99711.3 

You where such a cute little boy Babe! :)

Sassy

To: Sassy (MrsSassy) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 6) 
 99711.6 in reply to 99711.4 

Hey ((((((BABE)))))))

Send it across! 8^)  Might help, I am not good at conversation with strangers. I write better than I talk. Its a Power Thing - I get to put my whole point across without annoying interuptions, and you get my BEST thoughts, rather than the first thing to pop into my head.

I saw shyness as a gut reaction of both fear AND embarrassment. I read it CAN come from a morbid obsession with your own IMAGE. I don't agree, MY self image went down the toilet at 8 years old....

Love

David 8^)

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.