Windsor Greg (thomvan)

Fall Classic Baseball Game

Hosted by Windsor Greg (thomvan)|www.fallclassicbaseball.com

The Fall Classic Baseball community for Fall Classic Baseball Game.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Fast Action Card (FAC) deck??   Discussions

Started Oct-24 by curtalva; 2395 views.
curtalva

Oct-24

Hi Greg,

I am enjoying Fall Classic Baseball immensely. Just throwing out an idea that I believe could be of benefit playing the game with card & dice on the tabletop. I really like your individual base runner situation 'Hits' charts and "Out' charts. I wonder if it would be possible to create a Fast Action Card (FAC) deck that would allow the gamer to simply turn over a new FAC to reveal the base-advancement result? Not sure if this would require a separate FAC deck for 'Hits' and separate deck for 'Outs'. I'm thinking the FAC could have the result for each base runner situation all on one card. I think it would be really cool. I'd be the first to purchase! Just imagine breaking out the player cards to play a game and instead of pulling out the chart you simply place the FAC deck/s down on the tabletop. Roll your 2d6 get the result off the card and simply pull the top card off the FAC deck to reveal base runner advancement result. Smooth sailing. just a thought I'd throw it out there. :)

Regards,
Curt

• Edited October 24, 2017 10:04 pm  by  curtalva

How is the out determined?

curtalva

Oct-24

On each respective Fast Action Card you could put the 'Out' result for each of the d20 roll results. Use each of the results straight from the 'Out Chart' (list for each base situation on one card so that you only need draw one FAC to see the 'Out' chart result for any base situation). I'm thinking you could jumble/mix up each of the d20 results from the charts on the various Fast Action Cards. Not sure how many cards would be best to make-up the deck.

I apologize but I'm really having trouble following.

curtalva

Oct-24

This could be a sample of one Fast Action Card that is pulled from the 'Out' FAC deck. One card would cover any base situation.

OUT - Bases Empty
groundout to pitcher (1-3)

OUT Chart - Runner on 1st
popout (white die: 1- BL-3B … 1-BR-1B … 2-C … 3-1B … 4-2B … 5-3B … 6-SS)

OUT Chart - Runner on 2nd
BL-groundout to 1B (3u) - runner advances / BR - groundout to 3B (5-3) - runner holds

OUT Chart - Runner on 3rd
groundout to 2B - runner advances (IN-H below)

OUT Chart - Runners on 1st & 2nd
BL-groundout to 1B - runners advance, batter out at 1st (3-1)
BR - groundout to 3B - white die 1 - runners advance / fielder's choice at 3rd base (5u) … S arm 3B starts DP (5-5-3)

OUT Chart - Runners on 1st & 3rd
x-groundout to SS - DP (6-4-3) … W arm SS gets fielder's choice only (6-4) … runner on 3rd scores … (IN-H below)

OUT Chart - Runners on 2nd & 3rd
flyout to LF - runner holds … runner can run with risk

OUT Chart - Bases Full
flyout to CF - runners hold / white die 1 and F runners on 2nd and 3rd advance

Seems good.  What I don't like is that the OUT no longer gets instant scoring recognition that the D20 provides.  Roll 1-4-16 and the OUT on the batter card is immediately recognized as a GO-SS.

My old game Ballhalla used FAC cards for runner advances on outs and hits, and defense checks too.  It was set up in a chart-like fashion.  See the example, modified for Fall Classic.

Attachments
curtalva

Oct-25

Looks good but now I have to apologize cause I don't readily see how to read them. :)

After pondering on it a bit you're charts are really hard to beat.

Then I won't pursue the FACs.

ccapbafan

Oct-29

I had another thought about using FACS for out or hit advancement. We are more likely to use higher numbers in the 1-20 range more often for possible advancement, since some split results have outs for higher numbers. This would not happen with FACS unless the 1-20 splits were also on the same FACS, and the distribution matched those on the charts (the full charts I am assuming).

Unless, that is, I am misunderstanding. Are we supposed to roll for a second 1-20 number for advancement when we have used the first 20 roll to determine the result of a split?

You can roll a 2nd time if you want.  It would have a better distribution, but not enough to make much difference.  I try to close as many results as I can to be all the way to 20.

I need instant recognition on the original roll as to what type of out has occurred to make the game enjoyable for me.