Windsor Greg (thomvan)

Fall Classic Baseball Game

Hosted by Windsor Greg (thomvan)|www.fallclassicbaseball.com

The Fall Classic Baseball community for Fall Classic Baseball Game.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Boldo's Fall Classic Baseball League   Discussions

Started Nov-24 by dadoffive01; 578 views.
dadoffive01

Nov-24

Week # 2 play got under way a few days early, as our regular league night is Thursday but since Thanksgiving was yesterday, my son and I played our 3 game set last Saturday. I was the visiting team for the series and we both had 2-1 records coming into this one.

Game# 1:   I went with lefty Mike Hedlund (B) and Nick countered with Diego Segui (A), both making their 1st starts of the season. I tallied 1st in the second inning, when Rico Petrocelli  reached on an error by Segui, Ray Fosse doubled and then Mickey Rivers walked. Roberta Pena then grounded into a 4-6-3 plating Petrocelli for a 1-0 lead.

It stayed 1-0 until the bottom of the 6th despite me leaving the bases loaded in the 4th. Nick hadn't had a runner get past 2nd base through 5 &2/3 innings. Then with 2-out in the 6th Roy White belted a solo homer to tie the game at 1. Then a walk, single and another walk led to a Rick Reichardt (hitting for Segui)  pinch-hit 2 run double and now I was down 3-1. I got one back in the 7th on a George Scott PH triple and an R.B.I. grounder by Sandy Alomar, however Nick plated 2 more in the bottom 1/2 on R.B.I doubles by Cardenas and White and then in the 8th got an R.B.I. triple by Cookie Rojas, his 3rd safety of the game.

Then came the 9th with my squad down 6-2 and Nick brought in his 3rd reliever Ken Sanders to try and close it out. After Gail Hopkins and Jim Northrup both grounded out in PH appearances, Amos Otis hit a solo-homerun to make it 6-4. Then Alomar singled and with 2 -out Tony Oliva sent a 2-2 offering over the wall in left and now it was 6-5, with Norm Cash striding to the plate! Well Cash could only muster a soft grounder to 2nd that Rojas fielded cleanly and threw to Alou at 1st for the ballgame!

Game#2 : In the season opener for Nick, his 1st (and overall #1 pick of the draft) Vida Blue went 11 innings, without giving up a run, while surrendering 5 hits and getting 10 K's, but got a no-decision! Nick won it in the bottom of the 12th on a throwing error! So Nick called upon his #1 pick in game 2 of our series and his 2nd start of the season. I went with my 1st pick (and #3 overall) Wilbur Wood. Wood got absolutely destroyed in his 1st start of the campaign and took the opening day loss vs, Jordan's team. This matchup of southpaws would be truly a battle of aces and all it was hyped to be.

I scored 1st again, in the first inning on an R.B.I. double by Petrocelli, that drove in Amos Otis. I got 2 hits and a walk off Blue in the inning and was thinking hmm, okay maybe he's not so tuff after all...(I was very, very wrong by the way!) Anyway, Nick tied it at 1 apiece when he got a SAC FLY from Dave May, scoring the pesky Roy White. Then Blue and Wood simply took over! Goose eggs were being hung on the scoreboard inning after inning. Before we knew it we it was the end of 9 and still 1-1. It seemed like Blue got a K each and every time he needed one (or maybe anytime he wanted one) and though Wood was matching him on the scoreboard he seemed to be pitching out of jams frequently, or at least it seemed that way. Well the enigma that has become Vida Blue's starts continued as he again was called upon to pitch extra innings while once again his teammates struggled to support him. With 1 out in the top of the 11th, Tony Oliva and that sent Blue to the showers, finally reaching his BFS rating! His stats read this way...10 &1/3 innings, 6 hits, 1 run, 2 walks and 11 K's!

Meanwhile, Wood had retired the last 7 batters he faced from the 8th thru the 10th. With 1 -out and none on in the bottom of the 11th, Wood gave up a single to Rod Carew. Now fatigued, I removed him for Tom Hall (game one loser BTW) and Hall immediately struck out Willie Horton with a blazing heater off the outside corner that Willie couldn't lay off. Next up was you guessed Roy F***** White! Hall tried to get him to chase a curve ball, but White waited back on it and crushed it over the wall for a 2 run game-winning homer!!

Wood went 10+ allowing 8 hits, 2 runs only 1 walk and getting 5 K's. An extremely tough luck loss for the heft left-hander as he atoned for his opening night performance.

Vida Blue's stats for his 2 starts so far. 21 &1/3 innings. 11 hits, 21 K's, 5 walks and 1 (ONE!) run.....and he has 2 no decisions!

Game#3: I went with Catfish Hunter (tossed a 1-hit CG shutout in my opening series!) and Nick called upon Jim Palmer to try and get the sweep of Dad's team. My boys tried to set the tone early, scoring 4 runs off Palmer in the top of the 1st! Amos Otis led off with a 3-bagger, 1 out later Oliva singled him home, the Cash walked and Petrocelli unloaded a 3-run blast into the cheap seats! Nick's team cut the gap in 1/2 in the bottom of the 2nd on a double by Horton, Alou was HBP and then Dave May doubled them both in. Meanwhile Palmer settled in quite nicely, keeping me off the scoreboard for the rest of the game. Nick made it 4-3 in the 4th when Dave Duncan singled home (you guessed it!) Roy White.

Catfish battled bravely the rest of the way until I removed him after he gave up a leadoff single to Rojas in the 9th. I summoned Vincente Romo from my pen and after he gave up a SAC bunt to Cardenas, he got Carew to fly to CF and then Tony Horton hit one to the wall in Left , but Mickey Rivers was able to catch it and preserve sweep avoiding victory!

Hunter, despite not being anywhere near as sharp as his last outing, went 8+ allowing 9 hits, 3 runs, 5 walks and got 3 K's to earn the W and go to 2-0 on the year.

Palmer took the loss despite pitching much better after the 1st inning. He went 8, giving up 4 runs (all in the 1st) on 12 hits, while walking 2 and striking out 6.

So that's it for week 2 ( the rest of the league will be playing this coming week) and I will try to report the goings on! if you can get to our League Facebook page results and stats will be posted soon!

Chris

Fanofthegame

Dec-6

Great synopsis! It has been a few weeks, did you play weeks three and four? What happened?

dadoffive01

Dec-6

Hey Fan thanks for showing interest in our League! In week 3, I got swept by Steve but starting off week 4 last nite O returned the favor to Alex ( our commissioner) by sweeping him to even my record at 6-6. Catfish pitched another CG game gem for me allowing 3 hits and 1 run and in game 2 Joe Coleman went the distance as well getting 11 K’s! Mike Hedlund won game 3, though not as Impressively and need help from Tom Hall and Vincente Romo. Amos Otis was a monster going 8-12 with 5 SB’s in the series! 

Fanofthegame

Dec-6

Sounds great. Nice bounce back! Your team sounds good, with Wilbur Wood, Amos Otis, Petricelli, and Olivia. How did you get swept?

dadoffive01

Dec-6

I know man, I just didn’t hit that series and Wood has been roughed in 2 of his 3 starts and has 2 losses and a no decision in a 12 inning loss to Vida Blue! So my usual batting order is Otis, Alomar, Oliva, Cash, Petrocelli, Fosse or Etchebarren, Rivers, Pena and the pitcher. I have a very strong bench with some good platooning options. I have a very solid defensive team especially when it comes to the error ratings. My rotation is 1-4 the best in the league IMO. Also love my bullpen. Thanks again for checking in! Are you able to get to our Facebook page?

Fanofthegame

Dec-6

I will check on the Facebook thing.

You think your starters are better than the guy with Vida Blue and Jim Palmer?

Who did the guy that swept you pitch? Seems like he must have decent pitchers if you did not hit well all series?

It seems like your team is all from the A.L., why no N.L. Players?

dadoffive01

Dec-6

Well the guy with Vida Blue, Jim Palmer and Mickey Lolich by the way, is my son Nick and your right, no I don't think my starting staff is better than his! In fact they were his 1st 3 picks in the draft! I went Wood, Otis, Cash. I guess I totally forgot about his team! However I do think my entire staff (pen included) is the best.

Steve (the fella that swept me) swears that his staff is the best in the league and I will have to go back and see who exactly he had and get back to you!

So we are a 7 man (team) league and expanding to 8 next season. We drafted from the 71' N.L. first and played a 48 game schedule with a top 2 team playoff and Steve won the N.L. pennant over Alex, 3-1. Now we do the 71' A.L. and then after the pennant winner is crowned, we have a 7 game World Series between the N.L. winner and The A.L. winner! The really cool thing is whoever wins the World Series, gets to pick the next season we play!

Fall Classic is a really great game and we are having a riot with this league! My son Nick is 25 and the baby of the bunch. I am 55, Alex (Boldo) 53, Steve 47 Ben is around 50, Bob is 63 and his son Jordan is 32.

Fanofthegame

Dec-6

Seems hard to have a staff better than Blue, Palmer, and Lolich.

Sounds like a fun league. What happens if the same guy wins both A.L. And N.L.? Do you think it I s possible? How good is his A.L. Team?

dadoffive01

Dec-6

Yes it's possible and we voted that in this case, the last place team would manage one of his teams in the W.S. However I don't believe his A.L. team compares to his N.L. Championship squad.  Obviously Nick's starting pitching is really tough, but his offense is a little "pop-gun" style and not really built to score a lot of runs. I really like Ben's team, (he chose Reg-gie 2nd over all) and has a really decent all around team and he's a great manager! But I just have a feeling about my team and really believe that may just win this thing!

Chris

Fanofthegame

Dec-6

Sounds good. Best of luck to you. Keep posting updates, they are fun reads!