General -  Are emotions helpful to our survival? (632 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 65) 

I have been reading the threads about "God" and why God does not exist.  It appears to me that a great deal of the argument stems from people both believers and atheists wanting to 'proof' to define "god" by human attributes or lack there of.  "the way he thinks and feels" was brought up by both sides.  OF course we have NO proof because we are totally ignorant of what god might be.  We _act and think_ we do though.  We think 'god is like US. That of course can be hubris or tangled in stories of human domination over centuries We really have no idea of what any god would be like.  We have a mirror of our thoughts and actions that shows us us. That is all.  And often it is not a very helpful image.It is tinged with cruelty, selfishness, grandiosity and certitude as well as spurts of mutual recognition of our 'alikeness' dependence on others, and respect. Recognition of fear.   Many of _those_ attributes are based in the idea that we have to keep the species going but they are _rooted_ in instinct .  They have blossomed into emotions of love,hate, joy, sorrow, and we invented language to express all the nuances of those values held in common.  Our fledgling emotions that we battle still.  

So what good is emotional thinking?  Why do we have it?  Is it helpful in any way? Why do some atheists accept the idea of Emotional Intelligence and others do not.   Why is it so important to some believers that 'god' be a god of love ?  Others prefer a more rigid idea, a god that punishes and condemns those who do not meet a standard of justice.  What is so wrong about being selfish, indifferent, cruel,and judgmental except that others(-not us- not part of our tribe) suffer for those actions.   Why should we care about others? Why do we feel a  sense of connectedness to others in the human species.  Is it instinct? Or our drive to survive.  Do we want to pass on what we have discovered in our journey into life.  Why do we value children?  Would it be sad if our offspring simply moved out of the basement and made their own way in life and never saw or thought of us again or would we be pleased about it.  it seems to me it can go both ways. 

Anna

• Edited December 20, 2021 12:20 pm  by  VERNADEE

Reply   Options 

To: VERNADEE  (2 of 65) 
 14721.2 in reply to 14721.1 

If there is a god you should ask it to fix your posts before you hit the POST button.

Just sayin'

Course if you gave a rip you could just fix them yourself. You even edited this last one and it's still screwed up.

VERNADEE said...

So what good is emotional thinking?  Why do we have it?  Is it helpful in any way? Why do some atheists accept the idea of Emotional Intelligence and others do not.   Why is it so important to some believers that 'god' be a god of love ?  Others prefer a more rigid idea, a god that punishes and condemns those who do not meet a standard of justice.  What is so wrong about being selfish, indifferent, cruel,and judgmental except that others(-not us- not part of our tribe) suffer for those actions.   Why should we care about others? Why do we feel a  sense of connectedness to others in the human species.  Is it instinct? Or our drive to survive.  Do we want to pass on what we have discovered in our journey into life.  Why do we value children?  Would it be sad if our offspring simply moved out of the basement and made their own way in life and never saw or thought of us again or would we be pleased about it.  it seems to me it can go both ways. 

We make all those decisions ourselves. No fairy tale gods needed. No god has ever demonstrated its love or that it has punished or condemned anyone, All we have are unimpressive stories that other humans are telling us about how their god has done so.

JD

I would rather live a hard reality than a happy fantasy.

To: JohnDoe947 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 65) 
 14721.3 in reply to 14721.2 

>>>No god has ever demonstrated its love or that it has punished or condemned anyone, All we have are unimpressive stories that other humans are telling us about how their god has done so.<<<

Whenever someone dies of cancer or has a heart attack, I tend to give the christian god credit..

To: Elderwulf(Terry) (KNAPPER44)  (4 of 65) 
 14721.4 in reply to 14721.3 

Elderwulf(Terry) (KNAPPER44) said...

Whenever someone dies of cancer or has a heart attack, I tend to give the christian god credit..

You kinda remind of the guy who wrote THIS, :)

To: VERNADEE  (5 of 65) 
 14721.5 in reply to 14721.1 

You are sadly mistaken about not knowing anything about God.  He is not hiding and He has given us much information.  its your comprehension that needs adjustment.

By what He has created...it is obvious He is powerful beyond anything we can know. He must love us deeply to give us all that we have including our very lives. Just because people like you take it all for granted does not mean that all this majesty is imaginary.  Just the ability we have to comprehend it al is astounding if you think about it..  (You do have to think thoguh) He has owed us nothing and yet even though we have all this physical "stuff" he has also offered us eternal life with Him...If we can react to all this with gratitude, ask for forgiveness for transgressing  the laws He has given us

To: ACEofALLaces  (6 of 65) 
 14721.6 in reply to 14721.4 

The count is over 5 million now:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The Christian devil beast god is hard at work, it seems, controlling all the atoms.

To: YoungGandalf DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 65) 
 14721.7 in reply to 14721.6 

YoungGandalf said...

The Christian devil beast god is hard at work, it seems, controlling all the atoms.

Yep!  No doubt!   It IS as the "thumper's" keep saying......that their God IS in control, of EVERYTHING.  I just can't wait for some fundy fanatic to show up proclaiming that the Covid epidemic is God's way of signaling the end times IS at hand......and any time now, J.C. will come galloping out of the clouds on his big white horse.

I even have a meme about that.....I trust it is not crowding the limits of the forum.....It was the obvious HUMOR that caught my attention.

To: All 

To: VERNADEE  (8 of 65) 
 14721.8 in reply to 14721.1 

>Why do some atheists accept the idea of Emotional Intelligence and others do not.<

This appears to be a premise with no basis.

Who is it you're claiming denies that 'emotional intelligence' is a thing and why do you appear to be presuming that it's mostly 'atheists' who hold that view?

>Is it instinct? Or our drive to survive.<

These are synonyms, not opposites.

Genetics create our instinctual drives - which in turn 'present' to our conscious mind as 'emotions'.

We experience 'fear' when we perceive an existential threat - or even an 'ego-threat' which we usually treat as the same thing.

Our reproductive drives present as 'love' for our mates, and 'love' for our offspring.  Humans have an exceptionally long maturation period, which necessitates co-parenting, and thus explains why human females can be sexually available even when their not fertile, unlike many other species.

Our instinctual morality is based on the 'tribe'.  That which contributes to my tribe's survival odds is 'good', that which detracts from those odds is 'bad'.  Which is why 'stealing from your neighbor' is always 'bad', but 'plundering the assets of the enemy' is always 'good', or even 'heroic'.  Similarly 'murdering' your neighbor is always 'bad', but 'dispatching the enemy' is always 'good', or even 'heroic'.  (note carefully the linguistic tools we use to differentiate the same actions performed upon 'one of us' versus 'not-one of us'.)

N_J

To: NETIZEN_J  (9 of 65) 
 14721.9 in reply to 14721.8 

NETIZEN_J said...

Our instinctual morality is based on the 'tribe'.  That which contributes to my tribe's survival odds is 'good', that which detracts from those odds is 'bad'.  Which is why 'stealing from your neighbor' is always 'bad', but 'plundering the assets of the enemy' is always 'good', or even 'heroic'.  Similarly 'murdering' your neighbor is always 'bad', but 'dispatching the enemy' is always 'good', or even 'heroic'.  (note carefully the linguistic tools we use to differentiate the same actions performed upon 'one of us' versus 'not-one of us'.)

Robert H. Thouless wrote a famous book, Straight and Crooked Thinking.  In that book he discusses emotional meanings.  That is, I think what you are posting about.  That is why the same words in different contexts can mean different things.  

Back in the 19 teens and 1920's the single largest ethnic group in America is originally German and it still is.  If we had any true neighbor that neighbor was Germany.  Yet Woodrow Wilson was personally predisposed to favor the British.  As a result we joined the British war effort in WW I and participated in the economic destruction of the country by the Allies.  That led to the rise of Hitler and WW II.  During both wars we were emotionally manipulated by the British.  That has been a significant contribution to today's world problems.

To: JohnDoe947 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 65) 
 14721.10 in reply to 14721.2 

John

RE>>Fixing my posts>>

Sometimes I am doing posting in near darkness..I think I do well for not being able to see the keyboard!  

I got new hearing aids, new glasses so things are getting better if not brighter.

Anna

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 ... 41-50 51-60 61-65
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.