General -  Can the Young be Saved from Devices? (287 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 30) 

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/jan/02/attention-span-focus-screens-apps-smartphones-social-media

Everywhere and in all situations and settings, young people cannot concentrate anymore and are addicted to stare at little screens rather than to live life. What is to be done? Can anything be done.

Reply   Options 

To: YoungGandalf DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 30) 
 14734.2 in reply to 14734.1 

Gandalf

Re>>kids attention spans>>

Blame TV.  Sesame Street had to address this problem early on. It was well known  that children, very very  young children, could learn very fast. This had been known for a while by teachers, doctors etc but with TV-especially Sesame Street which was revolutionary in format. To keep kids entertained they sped  up the rates of knowledge, not necessarily speech but just information flashed on screen.  fast fast fast.  And so kids who had been watching Sesame Street since before they could walk hit pre-school, kindergarten and first grade.  The teacher could NOT talk or teach fast enough to keep their attention.  It took a while but they found that the information they were getting on Sesame Street via TV was actually faster than adults could give it. The kids could learn faster than people could teach! These kids had almost no attentions spans.  Sesame Street addressed the problem,slowed things down and life went on.  Kind of.  Then video games hit..and all bets were off and we are where we are. 

Anna

To: VERNADEE  (3 of 30) 
 14734.3 in reply to 14734.2 

Sure there was something similar when TV came out, but this has taken on a new, even more autistic dimension. These kids will lack their words at an hitherto unprecedented level.

To: YoungGandalf DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 30) 
 14734.4 in reply to 14734.3 

My wife has mentioned that reporters on TV talk so fast she can't keep up with what they're saying.. It seems they're trying to cram as much info as possible into the time allotted but they leave us old folks behind..

To: Elderwulf(Terry) (KNAPPER44)  (5 of 30) 
 14734.5 in reply to 14734.4 

A colleague told me a similar thing about a recent James Bond movie: the scenes changed so fast that he could not discern a story anymore.

To: Elderwulf(Terry) (KNAPPER44)  (6 of 30) 
 14734.6 in reply to 14734.4 

I can't stand going into fast food restaurants and trying to read the menus.  They display them overhead on computer screens and change them before they have been up long enough to read anything.

Rebeccah

To: RebeccahQP  (7 of 30) 
 14734.7 in reply to 14734.6 

Haven't been in any sort of restaurant since the advent of Covid but I don't remember having encountered such a thing.. I HAVE noticed that I can't read fast enough to follow "closed caption" on the TV.. I chalk that up to having always been a slow reader.. I took a "speed reading" course in college and was fortunate that it was not graded..

To: YoungGandalf DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 30) 
 14734.8 in reply to 14734.1 

Oh tempura!  Oh mores!

To: Ishmael112  (9 of 30) 
 14734.9 in reply to 14734.8 

It is to be expected that it does irreparable damage. Certain things, like speaking, writing, counting can only be learned well at certain ages. A generation is growing up where a majority of society in that age bracket is missing out.

To: Elderwulf(Terry) (KNAPPER44)  (10 of 30) 
 14734.10 in reply to 14734.4 

Elderwulf(Terry) (KNAPPER44) said...

My wife has mentioned that reporters on TV talk so fast she can't keep up with what they're saying.. It seems they're trying to cram as much info as possible into the time allotted but they leave us old folks behind..

This is a real problem but it has been going on for a long time.  When your job is to regularly repeat the same message, one that you have rehearsed, it is easy to make the words come out like machine gun bullets.  And the problem is not that you and your wife are getting older; no one can understand these people.  However, a great many TV watchers don't much care about anything except a relatively few issues.  For then the rapid fire speech is good because it gets them to the parts they want faster.  And sincbinge they know a lot about the parts they want they can understand the rapid speech about those issues.  

If you can afford it you might try a daily newspaper where you can go at your own pace.  Or you might go to your public library once or twice a week to read the paper.  

Also most news is available in print on the internet.  Subscribing to a particular newspaper will probably cost you some money.   However, I am frugal.  A few weeks ago I cancelled my local print edition newspaper because it just got too expensive--$25 a week.  I can read a fair number of its stories free on line.  And of those which require a subscription I can search for the same information on google.  

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.