Politics / Civil Liberties -  Macron Has a Word For It (463 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 42) 

I have just learned that the word Emmanuel Macron, President of France, use in describing those who refuse vaccination is "emmerder."  It has several meanings in English.  Some may be found here along with examples of how the word is used. 

emmerder translation in English | French-English dictionary | Reverso

Reply   Options 

To: Ishmael112  (2 of 42) 
 14739.2 in reply to 14739.1 

Yes, finally a politician, who takes the deniers and their retarded positions on strongly. I will be curious to see whether he can have success. If so, I would strongly urge that we follow it.

This cavalier dealing with a pandemic has unnecessarily prolonged it, worsened its effects, and the state needs to intervene to put this civil disobedience that threatens everybody directly down. Sure, it would be a major infliction on the cherished individual freedoms and rights, but the people, who can't be bothered to learn or understand anything, have brought it onto themselves and they are endangering and threatening the livelihood people, who have done everything right.

To: YoungGandalf DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 42) 
 14739.3 in reply to 14739.2 

Emmanuel Macron has already had a lot more success than we have.  About 90% of the French people are vaccinated against Covid.  Of course he has the benefit of dealing with the French and not with the Americans. 

To: Ishmael112  (4 of 42) 
 14739.4 in reply to 14739.3 

Of course, the numbers are better, but 10% makes for about six million walking killers in France. Best to force vaccinate everyone who does not have medical reasons to be spared. Just bend them over a barrel and get the needle in. Then fine them for having put their fellow man at risk. Perhaps ten per cent of 2hat they make a year, for costs and damages incurred. The lunacy has to be brought to an end. It would be different had they not walked around indirectly risking to kill others for over a year. Perhaps 60 lashes should be an option if they feel they cannot afford the fine.

To: YoungGandalf DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 42) 
 14739.5 in reply to 14739.4 

I live in New Jersey where over 70% of the people are fully vaccinated.  So when I read about France where for the whole country the number is 90% my first reaction is how much worse off I am.  

But if we are speaking of the US a number in the 70's is as good as it gets.  In your part of the country the numbers are in the 40's and 50's so you and your colleagues and students live with a far greater risk.  I do assume you are fully vaccinated so that if you do succumb to the Omicron variant your disease will probably (hopefully) be mild. 

To: Ishmael112  (6 of 42) 
 14739.6 in reply to 14739.5 

I was not so much talking about how much worse indecent people can make it than in France, I talked about what an adequate, responsible action is when one is in power and deals with a rock bottom ten per cent who spoil it for the rest of us. In the US it is far, far worse, of course. You live among 30% of indecent people, and I live among 40-50%. 

• Edited January 6, 2022 9:11 pm  by  YoungGandalf

Message 7 of 42 was Deleted  

To: All 

To: Ishmael112  (8 of 42) 
 14739.8 in reply to 14739.1 

I think a literal translation would be "to shit on/all over" or "to foul [with shit]".   Interesting that being annoyed, bugged, or bored is expressed in French as being covered with shit.

Edit to add some corroboration:

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/je-temmerde.150343/

(regarding Je t'emmerde)

This means tease, annoy, give problems, put in shit. It translates literally "Shitting" from shit. because "Merde" is "Shit" Something like puting someone in shit. the action of having someone getting dirty with shit. That is very annoying and uncomfortable. So that is what it means. Make someone or himself uncomfortable, annoyed, in trouble, put in an undesirable position. Example: "that's an annoying problem" would translate like: "C'est un probleme emmerdant". By the way it is not good french it is gross. You don't say that unless you are among close friends beacouse it is gross. It is improper language to use with someone you don't know or are getting acquainted with.

Rebeccah

• Edited January 6, 2022 11:46 pm  by  RebeccahQP

To: YoungGandalf DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 42) 
 14739.9 in reply to 14739.6 

You not only live in a state where 40 to 50% of the people are unvaccinated; you go to work every day with those same people.  On weekends many students go home to their families and you have no control over whether or not they are vaccinated.  I don't know what the university police about being vaccinated is but I'm sure you do.  And your colleagues are in exactly the same situation you are.  

You well know how contagious Omicron is.  

To: RebeccahQP  (10 of 42) 
 14739.10 in reply to 14739.8 

When I was young I worked in a bottling plant where many employees were ethnically French Canadian.  They spoke French as well as English.  And I well recall the word "merde." I think it is like the word "shit" in English; a word known to any adult who is born speaking the language but is vulgar and except as a direct quotation is not used in polite discourse.  

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-40 41-42
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.