General -  Insurrection Concern (40 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 2) 

The problem I have with the meek dealings with the insurrection have long been problems at the heart of American society. The problem is you, the moderate. This has been put better into words before, better than I can express it. Here is a historic source that puts it right. I modify the source to match todays expression of the problem, although the original problem remains unresolved (because of you):

https://letterfromjail.com/

I had hoped that the [liberal] moderate would understand that law and order exist for the purpose of establishing justice and that when they fail in this purpose they become the dangerously structured dams that block the flow of social progress. I had hoped that the [liberal] moderate would understand that the present tension in the [USA] is a necessary phase of the transition from an obnoxious negative peace, in which the [citizen] passively accepted his unjust plight, to a substantive and positive peace, in which all men will respect the dignity and worth of human personality. Actually, we who engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive. We bring it out in the open, where it can be seen and dealt with. Like a boil that can never be cured so long as it is covered up but must be opened with all its ugliness to the natural medicines of air and light, injustice must be exposed, with all the tension its exposure creates, to the light of human conscience and the air of national opinion before it can be cured.”

I am saying that the extremists are not the problem, they are the symptom. You are the problem. As you always have been. You refuse to change because the current problems somehow suit your purpose. You like it just how it is.

The words in square bracket are the ones I adjusted to the current situation.

Some other recent generation immigrant put the problem eloquently in another context:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/18/which-is-more-dysfunctional-the-us-or-the-uk-i-created-a-global-embarrassment-index-to-figure-it-out

• Edited January 19, 2022 9:01 am  by  YoungGandalf

Reply   Options 

To: YoungGandalf DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 2) 
 14751.2 in reply to 14751.1 

Before Martin Luther King led the Freedom March across the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Alabama he had visited President John F. Kennedy in the Whitehouse.  JFK was cordial and emphasized his New England background.   King was cordial in response but he knew that he and his cause were being dismissed by a President who, after all, depended on the solid South for his election to office.  The men parted.  

Back then the Whitehouse had a TV room with many TV's and at 6 o'clock news programs from all over the country came on TV.  The President could pick and choose which he wanted to watch.  Not long after JFK walked into that room and on every TV he saw the same image:  Freedom Marchers being attacked with fire hoses and police dogs by Sheriff Bull Connor as they tried to march to register to vote.  JFK was agast; he knew the world was watching.  And when he learned King had been arrested and confined in the Bermingham jail he also knew that unless he moved quickly King would be dead.  He called his brother Robert, then Attorney General and immediately sent the Army to Bermingham.  That saved King's life.  

That is why we have the Letter From a Birmingham Jail.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.