German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Don’t leave a dog and a purse in your car   German Shepherd News, Videos and Miscellaneous

Started Oct-31 by DW (GSDogwalker); 568 views.
DW (GSDogwalker)

Oct-31

Solitaire13

Oct-31

Nice sport dog, what an embarrassment to the breed.

I wouldn't be so concerned about leaving a purse a in car with a GSD, but my alarms are going off regarding what breeders are producing.   The GSD is supposed to have the inherent ability to guard and protect.  This GSD is way off mark.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Oct-31

I agree. She is a beautiful dog but how did a stranger even get inside that car without at least a lot of noise or a scuffle?  My dogs bark, they are loud, they look scary.  No one with any sense would try to take them on inside a car.  That owner must have expected her dog to be a deterrent, so why wasn’t she?

selzer

Oct-31

When I imported my female she was about 4 years old, and had an SchH1.   I carried the crate and put it in my car, and drove to my friend's house.  She went inside to get her something to eat, and I opened the crate and let her out to potty.  She did not eat me, even though she had never seen me before, and I had just "stolen" her. 

I think that people who do SAR have to have dogs that can ride together, be put in vehicles and taken out of vehicles by different people.  I suppose they work on this whenever they train with a puppy.  I suppose that for that, they do not need a dog that is overly protective of their vehicle. 

I guess you could train it the way people train dogs to let strangers come in to the home to feed and water them when they are on vacation.  Or when they work long shifts and have a dog walker or sitter come to take the dog from a walk. 

In reply toRe: msg 4
DW (GSDogwalker)

Oct-31

My dogs naturally protect our property including the car.  My older one, the female, has a hair trigger bark. She is deceptive, she is small and looks sweet, but boy does she go after people who get too close to her car.

selzer

Nov-1

I knew better to reach into Gus's car.  Gus is one of mine, but he went to his new home at 4 months old, and he was about 5 years old when I last saw him in his owner's car, and he did not want me to reach in there, and so I did not. 

I agree that dogs generally are protective of their vehicles.  I always love it when you have the back of your explorer up and a couple of dogs in crates and then some people walking by have to walk UNDER the back of your explorer's hatch, and then get mad when the dogs bark at them and it scares them.  Hello?  Why are you walking up under my car's hatch?  Are you crazy? Why do you think it is open?  There are dogs in there.  Go near a dog's car and they are going to bark.  Ah well, yeah I'm one of those folks other people are so mad at because I don't get all apologetic when they do really stupid stuff and then are offended.

In reply toRe: msg 6
DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-1

They expect dogs to be quiet and friendly.

DukeWarwick

Nov-1

I have to tell this story it was back in the 80s I was working at this place that allowed me to bring my dogs to work with me since I was a woman working 10 hours alone in a booth where I let in workmen and truck drivers at a ware house complex.

My car had to a flat I was in a hurry so I borrowed my teenage sons car, he ran up to me and told me not to shut the car off unless I was staying somewhere three hours then the car would restart no problem.

No problem then I realized almost to work I had forgotten my lunch and Cokes and I had nothing to eat. No problem I would stop at a Pizza by the slice place next to a liquor store I knew. You guessed it I had to leave the car running with my two German Shepherds inside and the windows rolled down no ac it was a warm night.

Someone decided they wanted a nice Dodge Charger and got the shock of their life when two German Shepherds lunged at him barking.

He was still standing there holding his chest as two boys I knew by sight were laughing and told me he had tried to take the car, and the one boy warned him not to touch that car.

"Why do you have such mean dogs," the man managed to say.

"To keep you from going to jail for stealing my car," I replied, he ran off at that point and the boys laughed again.

I praised the dogs for not getting out of the car and for protecting it, neither dog was protection or schH trained. They just knew he had no business in my sons car. The incident did scare me.

My dogs have always been protective without training and I agree no one should expect them to quietly let people they don't know get in their space.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-1

That is a good story!  You had naturally protective dogs,which is what the breed should be.

Cloudpump

Nov-1

A gsdwas bred to protect. Some breeders feel this is unnecessary,  however,  imagine if your dogs let that person in. Could have ended pretty badly.