German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Hiking his leg Indoors   Behavior and Training

Started Nov-6 by BlueStarWolf; 351 views.
BlueStarWolf

Nov-6

My sister has a strange problem with her 5 year old GSD her boy friend and she moved into a new place together so they could have more room. Suddenly Z is hiking his leg in the house mostly in the doorway of the bedroom, and the doorway to the bath. He has never done this before and he has moved before.

My thoughts is a male dog lived in that apartment before and marked it.

Any idea's how to stop this she has cleaned the spots well. He is sneaky and does it when they are both gone in the morning. One or both of them are at home all other times. He likes her boyfriend he is not acting any different in any other way. Its not like a whole lot of urine either so its not because he can't hold it.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-6

Her dog was used to the smells in her old place.  The new home is unfamiliar and doesn’t smell like him, so he is trying to make it smell right.  Does her dog have a bed he has used for a while with familiar smells? Try putting his bed right in the doorway when they leave.  He will not eye on his own bed. I would get a damp towel so it will pick up his smell and rub it all over his skin until it smells like him, then rub it on the doorways where he is peeing.  If he recognizes his own odor, he might stop.  

He doesn’t do it when they are home because he knows they won’t allow it.  

BlueStarWolf

Nov-7

Thanks those are excellent ideas. I will tell her what you said and they will try it, he has a bed they can easily move.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-7

Let us know if it works.

BlueStarWolf

Nov-8

It did I knew the bed would work I just didn't think of it the towel worked too.

But we will see if it continues to work. He is a well trained smart dog she was just in disbelief when he did this.

Msg 2820.6 deleted
DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-8

The towel worked too?  Good!  Dogs are like people. Moving is disruptive and stressful.

BlueStarWolf

Nov-11

Her boyfriend forgot what the towel was for and washed it. But he did not hike his leg anywhere in the apartment, Maybe he feels its his now.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-11

It doesn’t take long. I’m glad it worked so well.