German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Holiday for German Shepherds   Everything Else German Shepherd

Started Nov-9 by StaffordKody; 270 views.
StaffordKody

Nov-9

Understanding the breed is half the battle, often noisy and excitable

I won’t use a kennel as I don’t feel putting Kody in a cell for a week or to is very fair on him , he is used to 24/7 love care and attention with the rin of the home and garden.

I am extremely wary of so many pet sitting services that have popped up, and hit so many hurdles so I won’t use them either

So what is the answer, it would be great if perhaps I ke[new a retired couple used to the breed perhaps unable to commit to a full time dog but would love a short burst once in a while

But I believe the answer is a very easy and sensible one, and that is getting together with other local owners,have walks with them make friends with them and look after each other’s dogs for holidays a simple reciporacal arrangment and the best of it is not only does your dog get the care it deserves but you save money i]to.

Ok before anyone starts the (insurance issue) ask yourselfif you get in a baby sitter do you ask them to provide insurance or isnt your children just as important.

it all about trust getting to know people you can trust, and indeed trusting that if something was wrong they would get you dog to a vet for you to pay the bill later .

Remi (DerWolfram)

Nov-9

So, I would actually recommend that you look at Rover.com. I know many people who use that site to final local sitters and they say great things about it. You can interview people, etc. Also, tons of boarding places actually let your dog do daycare all day long rather than keeping them confined in a kennel. The place I use lets my one girl do day camp all day because she is spayed. My boy is intact, so he isn't allowed in day camp, but he gets a whole run to himself and a good 2-3 hours of one on one time a day. I also have a few board and train places that I like in my area that offer just boarding, and they give the dogs lots of attention. Just do some research on what's out there in your area, there are many great businesses that offer great boarding options.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-9

I would not leave my dogs with anyone who doesn’t know them and have German Shepherd experience.  Going on walks is a start, but I have not met a lot of other dog owners who I would trust with mine.  Maybe 2. If you have a very easy dog, maybe.  But my working line requires experienced handling.  Then he is a very well behaved.  Also, I don’t want a lot of people handling my dogs.  Again, that depends on you and your dog.

I used cageless kennels but my young dog is intact and can’t go now that he is mature. I also found my dogs don’t pack up with strange dogs so the daycare premise doesn’t work for them.   I tested my young one at a local place as a puppy and he spent the whole time following a person around.  My rescue can go to one, but I still have to find someone for my other one.  I would more likely board with our trainer.

If you use a sitting service, check them out very carefully.  My sister’s dog was attacked and seriously injured by another dog with a sitter.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-9

You are lucky. Our cageless kennel isn’t equipped to keep intact dogs.  They don’t have space for individual runs.

Remi (DerWolfram)

Nov-9

Yeah, I love love love the facility we found. Daycare all day for the dogs that test into it (and Mac loves being around other dogs) and one on one time for intact dogs or red-bandanna dogs. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-9

Are those aggressive dogs? The places near us won’t take intact or aggressive dogs.

AislinnDeb

Nov-9

Same here, Enya is not for the inexperienced. I have family that will take care of my dogs when I'm gone. I am blessed to have them here, able and willing to take care of them for me. The only boarding around here is at the vets. No boarding kennels nearby.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-9

You are lucky! My friend will watch my dogs. She has a very strong personality and my dogs like her but she is not a GSD type person.  I trust her, though.  But she doesn’t care for Working Lines.  Her niece has one that is over the top and she has watched that dog before,