German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How often do you groom your dogs?   Health, Nutrition and Exercise

Started Nov-14 by DW (GSDogwalker); 320 views.
DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-14

I am getting a second wave of blown coats and I realized I haven't had my grooming tools out since mid summer.  Mine got a through brushing and the amount of loose fur on the floor when way down.  Do you brush your dogs weekly? How often do you bathe them?

AislinnDeb

Nov-14

I run a brush through Luke usually about once a day, Enya once a week and Dax every few days. But their coats all vary, especially in how much they're shedding. I give a bath only when they need one.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-14

I only bathe mine if they smell, which doesn’t happen often or if their skin gets scaly or itchy.  Otherwise, I like the natural skin oils in place.  Luke has a thicker undercoat? Enya is like mine, they both have very little undercoat.

FriedFishie

Nov-14

Schubert gets combed weekly. I've been doing baths more often recently, because they help him not itch so much - we're pretty positive now that he has allergies to pollen of some variety. I try not to wash him too too often, because I know it's not good for his skin. He's just clearly so much more comfortable after. He itches much, much less for the day or two after.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-14

Do you use an allergy shampoo?

FriedFishie

Nov-14

The first few times, I used a regular oatmeal shampoo, because that's what I had on hand. Once I was pretty sure, I got an allergy shampoo. I wouldn't say it necessarily works better, but I feel better using it, since it's made with more regular use in mind.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-14

K9 recommendd Hylyt.  I haven’t tried it yet.

FriedFishie

Nov-14

I'll have to give that a shot sometime :) I'm not particularly attached to the shampoo I found. I was just using Vet's Best because it got good reviews in general, but I'm certainly more inclined to trust K9's recommendation than JQP's. Really, even the regular shampoo made a world of difference. What I'd really like is to know I'm not absolutely ruining his skin, or fur for that matter, with the shampoo.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-14

You aren’t.  I used a pet store shampoo on my girls and it irritated her skin so I switched to a different type from the vet and never had another problem.  I used chlorhexadrie and ketoconozole for skin irritation.  But that was after a skin infection.  I haven’t needed it in a while.

FriedFishie

Nov-15

I'll keep that in mind. Schubert had some irritation soon after we moved, but it turned out to be fleas, so he got a flea and tick preventative. It went away, all but the itchiness after walks.