MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

breeder info   Everything Else German Shepherd

Started Nov-26 by Gslover; 275 views.
Gslover

Nov-26

Hi

I am looking to buy a German Shepherd for the first time. I am looking for a working line GS and I have been in contact with several breeders across canada. I am looking seriously at workinging German Shepherds. Does anyone have experience with this breeder out of Ontario

DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-26

That name is familiar.  Do they have a website?

DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-26

This?  I have seen them before. I like their toplines, not too extreme.  They look like strong, solid dogs. 

http://www.workinggermanshepherds.info/index.html

DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-26

Some Pedigrees to evaluate.  Click on the dog’s pictures.  

CC to selzer
DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-26

They are called “Working line” but look like West German Showlines.

AislinnDeb

Nov-26

Have you had any working line dogs before? Working line German Shepherds are not easy dogs. Do you have other dogs? Kids? What do you plan to do with it? They're wonderful dogs, but can take a lot of commitment and work. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-26

The dogs in the kennel I found are all WGSL, if that is the right link.

Remi (DerWolfram)

Nov-27

If the link DW used is the correct breeder, here are some things to consider:

Those dogs are not working line, they are West German Showline (my personal favorite of the GSD lines). WGSL dogs can be exceptional working dogs, but you need to find the right pedigree. 

In looking at this breeder's website, it does not look like the breeder works or shows their dogs, and that is a big red flag in the world of WGSL dogs. WGSL dogs are regulated by the SV, the original German Shepherd Dog club out of Germany. The SV will not allow a litter to be registered unless both parents are work and show titled. They are very particular about their dogs. So when a WGSL breeder does not work or show their dogs, I always have to question why, since the foundation of that line and the proofing of that line is based on work and show.

What it looks like these breeders are doing is using the grandparents of their puppies (those VA and V rated dogs) to sell their pups. That's a practice that is really frowned upon in the WGSL world. Why not brag about the parents of the dogs and show what they can do? If you're not working your dog and titling them, then how are you proving that your dogs have a solid temperament? 

Particularly, when you're looking at a working dog, you absolutely want to buy from someone who is training and working their dogs. You want to know that your pup is coming from proven stock.

Another thing, I can't find hip, elbow or DM testing for any of their dogs. If they don't health test, run far far away. Breeders absolutely must health test their dogs to ensure they aren't passing down diseases or bad hips/elbows.

If that's the kind of dog you like (the WGSL) I can point you in the direction of several very reputable and solid breeders in the US and Canada.