Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quality Long Coat Working Breeder in US?!   Everything Else German Shepherd

Started Nov-30 by TylrStowt; 369 views.
TylrStowt

Nov-30

I have been on search for a Long Coat Black Sable Male for what feels like forever and have only Found one breeder that seems to be fair, problem is she is on the wrong end of North America and shipping would be a fortune. All others I have found demand immeadiate spay or neuter, or don’t even give full registration...I understand that it’s to help the breed from puppy mills but seriously. Not everyone who wants to have full registration is out to spoil the breed. ANYWAYS, pardon my rant. I am looking for a quality breeder of Working Long Coat DDR or Czheck lines. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-30

Long coated black sables are beautiful. I would love one too.  But if you search for a German Shepherd by looks, you cut yourself off from dogs with excellent temperaments and health.  You also do not want to buy a dog from someone who breeds first for coat length and color rather than health and temperament.

If I was looking for the dog you describe, I would instead contact many different breeders of dark sable DDR or Czech working line dogs.  Dogs occasionally throw long coats.  Ask them if they do or if they know of a reputable breeder who might have one available.  

The problem is that working line dogs often have short coats.  I have a black WL and he is a short coat.  So it won’t be easy but it might be possible.

Also, watch videos of IPO and SV trials.  See if there are any dogs similar to your needs who are titling and contact their breeders.  

DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-30

I have full registration on one of my dogs, but it is common for breeders who sell to people they don’t know to offer only limited registration.

TylrStowt

Nov-30

Sorry I wrote that in a rush and should have explained a bit more. I have a working line highdrive female as we speak, and we love her to pieces! And many of the west German show line (no offense to all WGSL owners) I have seen do not peak my interest. As you stated I have searched and asked the breeders I have found if they’ll have A Coat from time to time but then they throw a red flag against me for seeking a certain pigment, or coat length preference etc. When in all honesty if I’m spending 2-3000 on a dog...I’m gonna make sure it’s what I want. Hence asking for genuine working lines from a quality breeder. We have had Zelda a few years now and just has been incredible. I would really like to see what she could do in the hands of a top notch trainer, but alas money doesn’t grow on trees.

FriedFishie

Dec-1

Just curious - why do you want a full registration?

I wouldn't ship a pup, personally. I'd be far more inclined to go on a long road trip, or pick a different pup. I also agree with DW (and I think you'll find that most people here will) that while the aesthetic of a dog is all well and good, the important part is the temperament. It sounds like you already know that, and are looking for a good breeder, which is good.

Remi (DerWolfram)

Dec-1

Full registration is rarely given to buyers who the breeder doesn't know well. Many of the breeders who I respect never give full registration on a puppy ever. They wait until the customer has proven the dog, and then they offer full once the dog comes of breeding age. The only reason I got full rights on my boy was because I was literally at the breeder's every weekend, working with the dogs, and I agreed to basically be mentored by my breeder. You have to look at it from the perspective of the breeder. You can never pull back full rights once the pup is purchased, but you can give full rights after the pup is purchased, so it's safer from the breeder's perspective to hold back and wait until the dog is proven via trails.

As for what you're looking for, working lines are bred based on temperament. I don't think I've ever met a WL breeder who boasts about the color or look of their dogs, it's just not something they consider in that community. However, I completely understand your goal. My first GSD was a WL DDR/Czech girl and I wanted a bi-color. I kind of got scoffed at a few times until I explained the kind of temperament I wanted and that while color wasn't a first priority, it was just something I favored. I'd go at it with that explanation. Make sure you explain temperament first and pay a lot of attention to the pedigrees and the accomplishments of the bloodlines.

The reason reputable breeders are turned off by people looking for a specific color or look is because so many BYB take advantage of that. You can buy an off-color GSD from any loser on a corner for cheap (this is what has given rise to the pandas and livers and blues, etc.) Working breeders pride themselves on the temperament of their dogs and they want to see that the customer values that. I'm sure you know all this, but again just explaining it from the breeder perspective. The breeder wants to know you care about health testing and temperament before looks.

DW's recommendation is a good one. Talk to DDR/Czech breeders and see if any of their dogs carry the longcoat gene. I'll do some searching and see what I can find. I've seen some stunning longcoat working dogs with great pedigrees.   

DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-1

True Haus and Vom Banach produce working lines.  I have seen plushy coats coming out of those kennels, so they may have occasional long coats.  A good working line dog runs around $1,500-2,000.  A top WL from imported parents can be much more.  Safe shipping including a crate is around $500.  You can become a top notch trainer yourself if you have a club nearby.  

As the others said, a WL breeder does not sell a dog based on coat type, but on ability to work, drive, temperament and health certifications.  So, you may have looked at websites where you don’t see long coats but who have them at times.  

DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-1

I just talked to a friend who knows about coated dogs and was reminded that long coats are considered a liability in working dogs. There is more maintenance involved and most people who work their dogs don’t want that.  So, a breeder who has an occasional coated WL puppy won’t be happy about it and may not breed carriers of the long coat gene again.  Which makes it even harder to find.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-1

West German Working Lines are considered more balanced for pet dogs.  If you get a DDR dog, you absolutely must work the dog. Although all WL dogs are happiest when they are kept busy.

http://texasworkingshepherds.com/east-german-vs-west-german-shepherd-bloodlines/