German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Need help with a Beagle   Behavior and Training

Started Dec-1 by DW (GSDogwalker); 150 views.
DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-1

I offered to help a friend with her puppy.  First thing will be getting some good offleash exercise in, then training either fetch or two-toy retrieve to get the dog moving and responsive.  I know nothing about beagles.  Does anyone have ideas?  I am posting to K9 because I know you must have Beagle experience.

Cloudpump

Dec-1

Beagles are work. Hounds.  Don't listen, are food motivated, get stuck on a scent and will follow that, and stink. 

I don't trust them off leash. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-1

Difficult to train, then.  Another friend has one and he was very easy, but also not typical.  Sounds like she needs a safe, fenced area to exercise the dog rather than on trails or an open area.  

Cloudpump

Dec-1

I think they are. Similar to bassets. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-1

Have you ever worked with one?  They re supposed to be good with children. She has young children.

Cloudpump

Dec-1

They are good with kids. They are stubborn. And they bay.  A lot. Lol. The kids will probably love him. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-1

They already do.  It sounds like the dog needs to use its scent ability to find things.  Agility might be a good sport for their dog, too.

DukeWarwick

Dec-3

I used to volunteer for the local shelter, the number of dogs there found on the street not turned in by owners or neglected or other ways they come in, were by far the most were Beagles, Huskies, and other hound type Bassets and assorted and mixed.

Beagles and huskies are two breeds who love to get out of their yards or kennels and roam. Huskies just love to run and Beagles want to scent things.

I would recommend your friend get the Beagle micro chipped and make sure their yard is escape proof. One beagle escaped 145 times from his yard in one year. I felt sorry for them once they start escaping it seems then they do it more. They are good diggers too that's how Barney escaped they finally made a concrete floored kennel for him.

As far as training one I never have sorry. But I have been told by my trainer there were three breeds he didn't like seeing in his class and one of them were Beagles because they are notoriously stubborn. But he said on the bright side for your friend if you start young enough before bad habits set in sometimes they can be trained pretty well but they are not Goldens (his breed of preference). I was wanting Barney's people to bring him to training class they did one day but they gave up. I remember him telling them they need to be firm and not give him an inch and to never let him off lead because he wouldn't even come to them when they called him on lead. With food and determination they can do this.

I hope this helped my trainer was a really good trainer even if he didn't have up ears. LOL

The most stubborn dog I ever trained was a Dobie, they are usually a pretty easy train from good lines. But this dogs owner had been gone on a job and his grandmother let his dog get away with murder for 6 months. It took me 4 weeks to get this dog to walk on a leash right, I am not a professional trainer but I needed him to behave well enough to go to class with my trainer. Thing is you got to be more stubborn then your pupil. He came out from 8 weeks training a dog you could take anywhere. Even my trainer was surprised he did so well.

I am glad you are helping them I don't think they could do this without you.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-3

It should help. I also ave them a name and phone number of a good trainer with a lot of experience at handling different breeds. He has a video working with a beagle and the dog behaved perfectly with him.  But they are trying it themselves first.   That is how new owners get into trouble, but until a dog is out of control, most won’t go for help.  They say, “we got a good dog from a breeder and we have spent enough money.” Ha.  We have more badly behaved dogs around here than I can stand, which is why I have started offering help.