German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Dogs are smarter than cats   Controversies, Catastrophes and Teaky Moments (Enter at your own risk)

Started 12/5/17 by DW (GSDogwalker); 445 views.
DW (GSDogwalker)

12/5/17

AislinnDeb

12/5/17

Interesting article, but I have to wonder about the cooking concept - Cooking enables humans to extract more calories from their food with less energy expended on digestion.  If it were that simple then feeding animals cooked food would have made them smarter...

DW (GSDogwalker)

12/5/17

I don’t know. Animals process food differently than we do.

selzer

12/25/17

Sorry, running on empty, didn't read the article, but cats are smarter than all of us.  They do exactly as much as they want to do, and acknowledge who they want to acknowledge, and make us treat them like princesses. 

What a life!  Cats have it made. 

My vet has a sign, "Dogs have owners, cats have staff." 

Cats are not as trainable as dogs -- that is NOT a sign of lesser intelligence.  A dumb dog can be trained to respond to the same command in the same way, where a more intelligent dog might change it up some, and make you tear your hair out.  A cat will look at your attempts of trying to communicate what you want with scorn.  The cat gets it just fine, but the cat will not lower herself to do what you expect. 

In reply toRe: msg 4
DW (GSDogwalker)

12/26/17

It depends if you are a cat person or not.  I get tired of neighbor cats encroaching on our property and upsetting my dogs.  The owners can’t keep them indoors,

In reply toRe: msg 4
AislinnDeb

12/27/17

It does depend on the cat. I had a cat years ago, a Siamese mix, who was literally obedience trained in both Spanish and English and I could sit or down her from across the room. My current Ragamuffins are typical cats, wanting things their way. My two Bengal kittens have come a long way in the last three weeks, going from a bit feral from not being sold as young kittens to very loving with me now. The male likes my son, but the female isn't crazy about him. Yes, they'll both be fixed! But the male is super smart on problem solving. His latest trick is to ride on the arm of the automatic cat litter and to stick his leg between the arm and the back where it rests when not in use, which the safety feature automatically makes the arm go back again for another sweep and and therefore another ride. Dang kitten is going to burn out the motor! Both come when I call their names.