German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What are the biggest things to think about when adding a second dog?   Behavior and Training

Started May-12 by GetTheDogs; 708 views.
GetTheDogs

May-12

We're not getting one yet. Just thinking for a year or two away.

The one thing I am certain of is it will be a female (to our current male.)

I have talked to a new breeder about our wishes for a medium prey, medium defense with medium thresholds, somewhat suspicious but social. Outgoing, nice nature with a spark and a bit of grit. Most importantly solid nerves everywhere. She can provide this. It's like every dog she owns is titled.

She believes in breeding balanced dogs. It sounds like we actually got very lucky with Ray but that's a different story. And we love that bugger to bits.

Which is why we're getting another dog.

So, after all that waffling, what are the keys to owning two dogs? All I know is get different sex, treat them like two entities and give them their own separate trainings and don't rely on them to keep each other company because that's exactly what you'll get.

Also, I suppose that means we'll have to neuter Ray when he's 3 or something.

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-13

#1 My dogs must get along. 

My male is intact and I won’t be able to keep him away from an intact female so one will have to be chopped.  He can open his crate, a door and jump over barricades.   I have a room that is gated off and he broke through the gate.

bearshandler

May-13

I got rid of some of the reasons to fight like toys and chews randomly lying around. I also set the boundaries for what wasn’t allowed from the both of them.

GetTheDogs

May-13

Cool. We don't leave toys lying around either.

I read something about getting different social level dogs - is this necessary? I feel like mid-pack dogs are best for us, lol

bearshandler

May-13

I think issues arise when you have two dominant dogs. Any other combination is usually easy. I wouldn’t say either of mine are dominant and it works decently.

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-13

It’s very difficult to get two identical dogs anyway, so usually one is less dominant.  

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-21

Toys are the big deal breaker for me. My male like to hoard and my female likes to steal.  But I don’t want to hide them.  I’ve had a few noise fights over toys.

bearshandler

May-21

Hopefully the harmony I have now lasts. It’s going to be just the two for awhile. At least until I move. My TD told me to talk to Thomas Lapp the next time I want a dog.

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-22

What kind of dogs does he produce?

bearshandler

May-22

They’re more on the sport side, but you can get working dogs him as well.