German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Excessive butt sniffing   Behavior and Training

Started May-25 by DW (GSDogwalker); 260 views.
DW (GSDogwalker)

May-25

My male is obsessed with sniffing my other dog after they have been outside anywhere.  He can actually lift her off the ground to get a good angel from underneath to smell her. She is spayed.  Do any of your dogs do that?

Kazell

May-25

I say no, but only because I enforce no rude behaviors. For me I’d consider that a nuisance and correct once it started. Since Luka is an intact male I'm also pretty strict on him not sniffing lady parts 

They do sometimes sniff each other after they’re freshly bathed but if it was anytime they went elsewhere I’d consider that a bit too much. Casual sniffing yes, excessive no

In reply toRe: msg 2
DW (GSDogwalker)

May-25

He can’t stay away unless I pull him away. Then he leaves her alone. I’m trying to figure out why.  He’s very sensitive to smell. Is it possible something is wrong with her and he is alerting me?

bearshandler

May-25

There could be an issue he notices. Or maybe not. Bear can have some real extra interest in females whether they are receptive or not. It’s one of those things I stop before he starts. Not that he’s not allowed to sniff, but if I have to stop him once, I don’t let him go back. It’s different for you obviously since you all live together.

Kazell

May-25

Considering it’s whenever she’s been away I’d be more inclined to just think he doesn’t have manners and is nosy. But it’s possible, a UTI can set some male dogs off so I’m imagining other things can as well. My male would lick and smell at my female if I let him. They always are trying to sniff at my pants whenever I come home. Some things are just what you allow them to get away with and it becomes a bad habit 

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-25

It only happens after she’s been outside.

In reply toRe: msg 5
DW (GSDogwalker)

May-25

It could be a bad habit.  He seems a little bored sometimes indoors, but I can’t entertain him all the time. He’s usally relaxed, though.

In reply toRe: msg 7
DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-14

I’ve stopped the behavior.  He forgets but a reminder is enough for him to find something else to do.

bearshandler

Jun-14

What was your solution 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-14

Pushed his nose away and said No.  He immediately lost interest.  I did that for a week and saw that most of the time he leaves her alone.