German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How do you correct your adult dogs around the house?   Behavior and Training

Started May-26 by GetTheDogs; 160 views.
GetTheDogs

May-26

I decided to stamp out his unruly mouthing and teeth on human skin with zero tolerance and consistency, now. For some reason he has received the corrections much better now with zero "back chat." I have done this with scuffing but there's a few people that think it's weird.

How do you corrections your adult dogs? Granted, he should be 6 months into no mouthing but whatever Also no mouthing or teeth is soooo much better. We were lying to ourselves, I think.

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-26

I rolled the lip over the tooth so when they bit down, they bit themselves.  It never lasted very long after that.  I’ve scruffed before but my problems are mostly getting amped up over wild animals. Otherwise they are pretty good.

GetTheDogs

May-26

I have scuffed him for sneakily chewing this rug. It is the only thing he has ever chewed. He has been impossible to bust for it. Every time I hear him and move to catch him in the act he has gotten up to come see what I'm doing. It has been really frustrating.. until the other day. A correction has never felt so good.

I'm thinking I won't have to scuff any more now.

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-26

You shouldn’t and he should not chew rugs. It can be dangerous.  

bearshandler

May-26

Various combinations of scruff, verbal, and body language.