German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Would you end the session or punish?   Behavior and Training

Started May-31 by GetTheDogs; 360 views.
GetTheDogs

May-31

It would seem he's going through puberty and is getting much more interested in other dogs.

This is fine but he momentarily broke engagement yesterday two or three times to check out a chow running well over 50 yards away. He didn't go over but his focus went to the other dog. I recalled him to me and continued the training/game etc. Previously 50 yards would have been far enough away to not care.

His sessions have actually been going really well as we have started ending them right when he seems most intense and using a mix of the ball and food to teach new behaviours. He is usually very engaged. 

My question is, would you end the session and negatively punish by putting him away and try again in a few minutes? Negatively reinforce by increasing his desire for food/toy? (This seems the least of the options.) Or not end the session, positively punish for him checking out and reward reengagement?

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-31

Always end a session with our dog doing something right and getting a reward.  If he does something wrong and then won’t down, for example or look at you, will he sit? If so, get him to sit and look at you then reward, then end.  I was in a small private group class and he wouldn’t like down but he finally sat.  The trainer immediately said to reward for the sit.  It’s better to do something right then end on a wrong note.

GetTheDogs

May-31

So pos pun then reward for engagement then end.

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-31

I guess so. I’m not sure of all those terms.

Kazell

May-31

Possibly, + punishment. Depends on how fixated on the other dog. If my dogs get over-fixated I may give a mild verbal correction. Otherwise I just work fast paced so they have to refocus onto me, and reward for good behavior. Fast paced worked is on a leash like spins and figure 8s

bearshandler

May-31

Depends on a couple different things. If it was one of my dogs now I would give a correction and continue on with my session. I wouldn’t immediately look to end it. They have to learn to work through it.

GetTheDogs

May-31

Would they not learn to work through it by giving that dog attention and then losing everything for a few mins because of it?

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-31

I would do that too.  He asked if you end the session with a punishment and I never do.

bearshandler

May-31

I wouldn’t do it. Look at how long it took chip to stop getting assaulted by his dog. That’s the slow game.