German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Can Ray take below freezing wind chill?   Health, Nutrition and Exercise

Started May-22 by GetTheDogs; 386 views.
GetTheDogs

May-22

Yeah it'll be up then down. Maybe some hanging out at the top. 2/5 of the hike is above the bushline.

bearshandler

May-22

I’ve had dogs before that spent there entire life outside. From 100+ in the summer to below freezing in the winter. They were fine.

In reply toRe: msg 12
GetTheDogs

May-22

100+??? Do you live in Death Valley!???

bearshandler

May-22

That was in Tennessee. It’s Fahrenheit if you didn’t know. Most of the southeast US gets those hot summers. Tennessee gets hot and humid.

bearshandler

May-22

Oh jeez the mosquitoes. How can I forget the mosquitoes? They’re the size of birds there. Should be right up Gets alley.

Kazell

May-22

Same here, big thing though is the dogs usually get a chance to acclimate. We go from the negatives to 100’s. We had a Great Dane as an outside dog along with a GSD. No issues for anybody. 

I do notice difficulty with paws once it gets below 0. Above not so much. So just below freezing in Fahrenheit isn’t much of anything 

bearshandler

May-22

I’m of the belief that dogs are pretty hardy until you start moving away from the natural form like mush faces. I never dealt with dogs in negatives so I don’t doubt you. Hopefully I never deal with negative temperatures again.