Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

6 month old GSD training   Behavior and Training

Started Jul-26 by MadDuster; 346 views.
MadDuster

Jul-26

Need to train my son to wear boots. Where we stay, it gets really hot in the summer, and pavements burn like anything. Whenever I try to make him wear the shoes, he just refuses and throws them away. And because of the warm floor, he doesn't like going outdoors also. I am really confused.. Is it because of the boots? Are the shoes not comfortable for him?

Showtalk
Host

Jul-26

I just saw your post in the queue. Do you mean son or dog? This is a dog forum, so if it’s a human child, we can’t help you. If it’s a dog most of us don’t use shoes.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-27

You can teach him to wear shoes by rewarding him. Put the shoes on, give him a treat, then take them off, do this for a week until he starts to want the shoes for the treat. Then leave them on for five minutes, give a test or a reward and take them off. It will take a while for him to get used to them and to like them.

MadDuster

Jul-28

This is the boot I got for him, Dimicoo Neoprene Boots, do you think it might be because of the boot also?

Solitaire13

Jul-28

I do believe that they make some type of cooling boots made for service dogs. Dogs cool themselves primarily by panting. They also sweat through their feet. Like any other living animal, the body increases blood flow to the extremities to increase heat dissipation. I think those boots may be a problem and if you feel compelled to expose your dog to hot sidewalks,  I would look into the boots expressly designed to help cool him.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-28

Sol has more experience with both heat and snow.  Cooling boots sound like a good idea.

MadDuster

Aug-1

Hey. If it is not a problem then could you please suggest me the shoe I should buy...

DW (GSDogwalker)

Aug-3

Sol is busy right now and I don’t know which shoe is best.  here are some suggestions. But I’ve never tried them.

https://www.caninejournal.com/best-dog-shoes-for-hot-pavement/