GovWatch

Hosted by Cstar1|Webpage

A forum for posting about laws & pending legislation - both domestic & international, freedom of the press, & online privacy.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rape   Law & Disorder

Started 12/29/12 by Cstar1; 44702 views.
nnonishere

1/30/13

Darn.  I was hoping to become one of the 1%
Jeri (azpaints)

1/30/13

I'm lucky to be one of the 99%!!  
nnonishere

1/30/13

I have been in the 99% my entire life.  In the name of research, I think I need to do a personal comparative study.
Jeri (azpaints)

1/30/13

I think I started out in the .05% of the 99% - but I've never made it anywhere near the top of the 99%.   I don't even want to do study...I'd get too depressed!

In reply toRe: msg 46
Cstar1
Host

1/31/13

Indian officials are planning a new tool to fight rape: a watch that texts your relatives & police, locates you via GPS, and records video for 30 minutes after a button is pressed. 

While the watch is certainly better than nothing, some women’s rights activists are skeptical… and rightly so. A 2011 study by Trust Law, an organization which calls itself a “global hub” of “news and information on good governance and women’s rights,” ranked India as the fourth most-dangerous country for women. And if you’re unfamiliar with dowry-related violence in India, here’s a refresher, compliments of the UN.

Mashable

In reply toRe: msg 47
Cstar1
Host

2/2/13

Gang rape accused plead not guilty

Five men accused of brutal gang rape and murder of young woman on Delhi bus claim they are innocent
In reply toRe: msg 48
Cstar1
Host

3/21/13

NEW DELHI (AP) — India's Parliament passed a sweeping new law Thursday to protect women against sexual violence in response to a fatal December gang rape and beating of a young woman on a bus in New Delhi.

The new law, which still requires the president's signature before it becomes official, makes stalking, voyeurism and sexual harassment a crime. It also provides for the death penalty for repeat offenders or for rape attacks that lead to the victim's death. The law also makes it a crime for police officers to refuse to open cases when they receive complaints of sexual attacks.

AP

In reply toRe: msg 49
Cstar1
Host

3/26/13

Cheerleader must compensate school that told her to clap 'rapist'

The Supreme Court refused to hear the case on Monday.
In reply toRe: msg 50
Cstar1
Host

3/30/13

A 15 year old rape victim has been sentenced to be flogged 100 times for having sex outside of marriage (in a separate case from the rape.) The rapist is the girl's step father. More from Global Voices.

Petition to the president of the Maldives:

To President Mohammed Waheed Hassan:

As concerned global citizens, we call on you to do more to protect vulnerable women and children. We welcome your government’s initial intervention in the case of the 15-year-old rape victim, but real justice will only be delivered when you end the practice of flogging in the Maldives, and change the law so that it better protects the victims of rape and sexual abuse.
  • Edited 3/30/2013 1:06 pm by Cstar1
In reply toRe: msg 51
Cstar1
Host

3/30/13

x
  • Edited 3/30/2013 2:29 pm by Cstar1