Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Holy Bull   Triple Crown

Started Jan-27 by princeofdoc; 1852 views.
DogsUp

Feb-5

Naah. 2nd betting fav won. $2.60 show. $2.40 Show for Holly Bull fav.

Best January Show bet was in $3 mil (race betting historically has show stuffing) purse where 6/5 fav/Knicks Go (my hamburger helper Delta pick here on web in his BC juvey) in Pegasus paid $3.00 to show. Sent it in. While many were betting Derby hopefuls that may never see the twin spires. 

No sweating the colt's performance to hit dah board.

https://youtu.be/VdHf4b49SVg

• Edited February 5, 2021 7:52 pm  by  DogsUp
Plus2lbs

Feb-5

Bravo...fo sho..

In reply toRe: msg 22
Wintertrian

Feb-11

Holy Bull a good race to ignore.  When is last time winner of Holy Bull won a derby.  Forever ago. 
It's a race for speedsters, but they don't have the stamina to go with. 

princeofdoc

Feb-12

Good to see your comments again, Winter!

You are of course right, the Holy Bull rarely produces a Derby winner....though Tiz The Law won it last year, and he did quite well after.  Audible won and was a contender....and we can't ever forget Barbaro.

My point being is that strategies change year by year, and you have to look at specific races, not just generalize.  Sure, most of the Holy Bull races are won by more sprinter types.  You can say that about the San Vincente at Santa Anita.  But Nyquist started his year there, as did Nadal.

Does that mean Greatest Honour or Tarantino will necessarily make noise on the TC trail this year?  No..., but they could :)

DogsUp

Feb-12

Close. 2020 Derby fav won Holly Bull ran 2nd in Derby. Did that shuffle step in the Derby stretch and cost him the win.

This crop due to epidemic constraints will leave much to the feel factor come Derby. But for a few. Bouncers and pop-ers.

• Edited February 12, 2021 4:58 pm  by  DogsUp
Wintertrian

Mar-3

princeofdoc said...

Does that mean Greatest Honour or Tarantino will necessarily make noise on the TC trail this year?  No..., but they could :)

Of course.   

I would just like to see some of the so-called prep races replaced with prep races that truly allow classic distance routers to show their stuff, and Holy Bull is not such a race to my mind.  

And yes, they do make some noise often running ITM, and that is because that sprinting speed comes in handy IF they still have something left for the stretch and can "turn it on" to sprint past other horses.  That is something Zenyatta had in spades, if you look at her early races, she had fantastic sprinting speed.  

Too often though, if not retired early, we see so many "derby horses" go on to 6.5F and 8F races and find out that is where they excel.  

TexSquared

Mar-3

Wintertrian said:

I would just like to see some of the so-called prep races replaced with prep races that truly allow classic distance routers to show their stuff, and Holy Bull is not such a race to my mind.  

I will say the "Road to the Derby" points system has done this.   When it was based on graded stakes earnings you'd have horses get in by racking up earnings in 7 furlong races as 2-year-olds, then throw in a cheap win against weak company in the Delta Jackpot or Cashcall Futurity.  Done, he's in the Derby.  Sure this system got Mine That Bird in but it also brought in a lot of cheap speed that had no business in a 10f race.  

It does help that the big points races are 9f.  Those should be weighted more than 7f sprints last year, and now they are.

smartyslew

Mar-3

Is the Gotham 8 f or is it 8.5 f, I have seen both distances listed.

Its a 50-20-10-5 points race and I see Miler types and 7f types entered.

If it's a Mile  race the points suck. Even 8.5 f  is very suspect.

The Winner is getting a gift. Imo

princeofdoc

Mar-4

Exactly....

It is a one-turn mile, I believe, and the winner will go to the Derby.  That's why Baffert sent Freedom Fighter there, should go well, and Highly Motivated doesn't need to stretch out yet.

On the other hand, it does present a trainer with the opportunity to build up to the classic distance more slowly, perhaps the Wood at 9f next, then the Derby.

smartyslew

Mar-5

The Gotham is set up for both of Chad Browns entrants style . Highly Motivated first race this year

could hurt him and Crowded Trade both closing style Sprinter/ milers in a one turn Mile race.

This is a gift for the Sprinter/ milers entered that wins the race 50 Derby Points.

It is March and anybody can jump up this time of year , IMO Highly Motivated has the best pedigree

in this race for a Classic distance. But this is a one turn mile .