Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Fountain Of Youth   Triple Crown

Started Feb-27 by Plus2lbs; 1215 views.
Gerh

Feb-28

Drain the Clock controlled the pace well and didn’t back up in the stretch.GH just looked like he exploded and ended up winning easily.I saw that the BSF was 83 ( which I thought was on the low side).Would not surprise me if the 2 favs for the derby will be Tapit colts.His stud price might take another hike.

In reply toRe: msg 11
SameSteve G

Feb-28

Drain The Clock was not a surprise, stretching out in an ideal scenario to attempt it.  I think the perpetual inside speed bias of the Gulf main track helped him carry his speed.  I hope that Saffie doesn't get too brave with him & ask for more distance just because he ran 2nd here.  He's a nice horse who is suited to shorter contests, IMO.  

Personally, I wouldn't put any stock in the BSF beyond its limited scope.  It does not describe the race dynamics or trips whatsoever.  It was a slowish race with slowish fractions.  1:11 is not motoring at Gulf.

Shug states the obvious when he says Greatest Honor wants more ground.

If both GH & EQ prevail in their next, I believe you are correct about KD favs.

Gerh

Feb-28

There are plenty of races at 6-8f that would suit Drain the Clock.If he is entered in the Florida Derby,there is no guarantee that he gets an inside draw again.Not sure it is worth the risk.

I think Gulfstream has been playing a little slow.The track seems to be more tiring.It will be interesting to see how the other figure makers grade the race

In reply toRe: msg 13
Plus2lbs

Feb-28

Few races strangely run..fo sho..

• Edited February 28, 2021 2:19 pm  by  Plus2lbs
smartyslew

Feb-28

Equibase 101, Holy Bull 103, Foy about a second slower than H B.

Steve gave a good description of the ride where the Jock woke him up

after the real slow start and that's a good learning lesson. real slow early

and real fast late nobody grades the same, with the slow final time.

Essential Quality got a great ride when the jock waited and moved him off the rail

just maybe he knows the horse and they are savvy together. Equibase awarded a 105

speed number.

DogsUp

Feb-28

I cautiously give great fillies and mares on their return off a layoff having been outstanding prior a pass.

Exception if their works are outstanding and they bullet etc, Yada yada. Or they are eligible for an extremely comfortable lower purse conditions race.  Say..

Trainer/ owner take a purse in a 1st time out and why not get paid to get a start-up and not have to press the horse to feel competition of a field.

This is usually a 7fl distance.

What happens is the Low odds and the competition suck and sterling record the bettor into the get engine.

As the song goes,Sinatra singing..

"She won't dish  the dirt ..with the rest of the girls."  Having stayed in the barn, munching sweetened oats and having her hooves manicured.

SameSteve G

Feb-28

I just watched a replay of the turn for home a couple of times at half-speed & it appears that as Greatest Honor was coursing around, Prime Factor (#2) got out enough under Irad to cause GH to lose some momentum, getting out some himself.   Prior to that Irad was whipping PF with the right hand & GH saw the whip before his face & got his head up slightly.  

Jose did a good job getting him back in full flight.  GH refocused well.

So, he dealt with some stuff intra-race & overcame it as well as making up the 8 1/2 lengths.  

The speed figs do not account for those issues, as you well know, my friend.

smartyslew

Feb-28

I kinda like the way shug took his time with this 12f type g1 prospect and getting 4 races in at 2 yr olds

before breaking his Maiden and gobbling up furlongs along with his works. If he stays healthy he should hit his 3 yr old peak around Breeders Cup time and this weeks preps remind me of  Street Sense and Hard Spun's year on March 1st. 

SameSteve G

Feb-28

A colt who is bred that way succeeding at 8.5f.  for 3 in a row in Jan. & Feb.   I think Shug is quietly excited about him.

2007 was a deep 3 year class.  I was a big Street Sense fan & also like Hard Spun.  Curlin's Rebel win wasn't until March 17.  That was the big 3.   You may recall I was living in Lexington, KY at the time & betting every day.  Having a lot of fun, too!

Seems like another lifetime.  :)  Still having lots of fun but only had 1 bet so far this year.  :)

princeofdoc

Feb-28

Hard to predict favoritism at this point, but yes, GH and EQ will certainly be in the top 4 or 5, depending on what happens with GH in the FL Derby, and who knows where Cox sends EQ.....could be FL Derby too, maybe even the Wood, doubt he stays in Ark, as I predict Caddo River to race in the Rebel and Ark Derby.

The wildcard, of course, is Baffert's colts....Life Is Good and Concert Tour, especially the former.  If he goes and dominates in the San Felipe, and the SA Derby, he'll be the big favorite.