Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Fountain Of Youth   Triple Crown

Started Feb-27 by Plus2lbs; 1215 views.
SameSteve G

Feb-28

Yes, you are correct, of course.  How forgetful of me.  Life Is Good will be the favorite if he proves out in those two preps.

princeofdoc

Feb-28

Still trying to figure out what Baffert is going to do.....looks like Spielberg will continue, probably in Ark., but what will he do with Concert Tour, Life Is Good, and Medina Spirit?  They can't possibly run against each other at Santa Anita, jeopardizing getting the necessary points.....and then what about Freedom Fighter?  Where might he go?

I'm thinking Wood Memorial, or the Bluegrass, for a couple of them, as they all seem to be contenders....

SameSteve G

Mar-1

As usual, Baffert has an embarrassment of riches & he has been known to call audibles as races draw near.  Rob always says BB is at the poker table.

I'm not sure what edge we gain by knowing where he's sending his contenders.  

Gerh

Mar-1

Timeform gave him a 112.

princeofdoc

Mar-2

There is definitely an edge for future's bettors like me, Steve.....if I know one of his charges will be competing in an event that will be less competitive, giving the horse a great opportunity to gain entrance into the Derby, I can get a more-than-fair price on him.  For example, Spielberg could not compete with his other horses at Santa Anita, so he sent him to OP, got a 2nd for some much-needed points, and now the 110-1 I got on him is reasonable, that is if he hits the board again and qualifies.

At the same time, if Concert Tour, Life Is Good, and Medina Spirit all compete at SA, perhaps even Freedom Fighter, there's less a chance they'll all qualify, making their short price even worse, but better for the rest of us who are betting other horses.

And it's just fun to see what aspect of game theory BB employs in his Derby strategy.  Didn't know he was a poker player, never saw him at the table :)

SameSteve G

Mar-2

Makes good sense from the standpoint you take as a dedicated future bettor.  Thanks. 

I'll be the first to admit I have virtually no experience at the long-range game.  

princeofdoc

Mar-2

I'd be curious if you think there are any utr horses I haven't included in my March Top 20 thread?  I depend upon you, Raes, Rob, and the other superb handicappers in this forum to alert my attention to the wonderful subtleties of this sport!