Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Sat. 3/6 Derby preps   Triple Crown

Started 3/6/21 by princeofdoc; 1350 views.
RAESFAN

3/6/21

Needless to say, I am thrilled with Crowded Trade. He was wide all the way around, and fought to the wire.

Gerh

3/6/21

Great to see Baffert up to his usual.Use Medina Spirit to run interference.I was having flashbacks to the 2018 Belmont when Restoring Hope was used in the same way.Life is Good didn’t need any help.He was green in the stretch but there is more upside there

In reply toRe: msg 3
princeofdoc

3/7/21

I've had Life Is Good in my top 2 Jan/Feb/Mar......he seems to be the best of the crop right now, by a fairly wide margin.  I don't like betting favorites in the Derby futures, but I'm glad I have my bet on him at 11-1

Gerh

3/7/21

I would be very happy to have him at 11-1.He will probably be 2-1 in the Derby.

princeofdoc

3/7/21

I thought Crowded was impressive, and I'm glad to have a futures ticket on him at a good price.....love to see him win the Wood!

RAESFAN

3/8/21

Given the way the race played out, and the issues each horse had to overcome coming into the race, who looks to move forward the most in your opinion?

princeofdoc

3/8/21

Highly Motivated, without a doubt......terrible trip, ran on well.  Though Crowded can certainly improve as well....

In reply toRe: msg 8
TexSquared

3/8/21

Prep race photos this weekend:

Gotham Stakes (G2) at Aqueduct
http://www.horse-races.net/library/gotham21-results.htm

Tampa Bay Derby (G2) at Tampa Bay Downs
http://www.horse-races.net/library/tampa21-results.htm

San Felipe Stakes (G2) at Santa Anita
http://www.horse-races.net/library/sahcp21-results.htm

RAESFAN

3/8/21

Thought you might say that. I thought he might have been a little short. As for his trip, I didn't think it was as bad as everyone says. He didn't finish as strong as I expected. His trouble was early enough for him to recover, I thought. I'm biased towards CT. I thought for his second race, he took a big step, and still may be a bit green. I think he wasn't crazy about passing Weyburn, and was happy just catching him. He got the lead, lost it, and then was coming back at the end. They need to work on that in his works.

In reply toRe: msg 10
RAESFAN

3/9/21

I remember a while back we used to talk "angles" that pointed to the true contenders in the Kentucky Derby. Nowadays, trainers have largely abandoned the old way, and many of those angles have gone by the wayside. No more Apollo jinxes, or even beyer figures are discussed much. Remember when we looked for those 105+ beyers in preps? They seemed to be an extinct species. Enter Life Is Good! He was awarded a 107 beyer figure for his San Felipe, which he won pretty much without being asked. Sure didn't look to have distance limitations unless you count his drifting out, which may have been simply a loss of focus due to sheer boredom with the lack of competition. Is this guy really that good?