Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rebel Stakes March 13 Oaklawn Park   Triple Crown

Started 3/11/21 by Wintertrian; 3056 views.
smartyslew

3/13/21

39-15-12-3 is that his race record ?

He didn't disgrace himself today !

Wintertrian

3/13/21

smartyslew said...

39-15-12-3 is that his race record ?

He didn't disgrace himself today !

Yes that is Whitmore's record!!!   But even more impressive, out of 39 races (as of today)  24 of them were GRADED Stakes races.  And 6 of them were Stakes Listed races.   

Other than that, he only ran 1 MSW and 3 allowance races.  In his whole career!

WHITMORE is one of the truly great working race horses you will come across, we are all huge fans of his for a long time now. His MSW was back in 2015.  

One of reasons I started following him was because his sire is Pleasantly Perfect.....one of my all time favorite horses and what Mandella did with him.    if you ever get a chance to watch the documentary of Mandella training him and other horses up to the BC races, its a behind the scenes look, I mean probably the best documentary I've ever seen where you really get to go behind the scenes. (On The Muscle: Portrait Of A Thoroughbred Racing Stable)   I mean, Mandella is LAYING DOWN in the straw with Pleasantly Perfect, it's just an unbelievable movie.  Shows Mandella preparing 6 of his well known horses........I want to be buried with this documentary in my hands, I am not kidding. Pleasantly Perfect, The Tin Man, Redattore, Kudos, Ile de France, and Brisquette. The video culminates with Mandella's unprecedented four-win day at the 2003 Breeders' Cup World Championships at Santa Anita.

Pleasantly Perfect record: 

18 9 3 2

I need to buy more copies of this.  It's amazing how much his horses trusted him.   This man is a genius. 

RAESFAN

3/13/21

I wasn’t particularly impressed with the Rebel, but Concert Tour did win without being asked. The other horses were underwhelming.

smartyslew

3/14/21

I watched that Mandella movie more than once.

Thanx for the Rebel thread and the time and data!.

smartyslew

3/14/21

Other than Concert Tour coming down the stretch looked like a rodeo.

In a 7f race Caddo River got the lead down the stretch and gave way eye ball to eye ball.

he doesn't like any horse around him imo. Maybe his wins were in weak  fields,

TexSquared

3/14/21

Mike overused the whip in the jockey competition and also aboard Midnight Bisou (who finished 2nd).   Thing is you watch those races and you would never say "he abused that horse", it's just that Saudi Arabia has firm rules on number of strikes, and you go 1 over you're fined huge.   

He could end up being fined more if Maximum Security is disqualified and Midnight Bisou is given the win, since the fine is a percentage of the jockey's winnings!

Wintertrian

3/14/21

smartyslew said...

In a 7f race Caddo River got the lead down the stretch and gave way eye ball to eye ball.

he doesn't like any horse around him imo. Maybe his wins were in weak  fields,

I should have re-watched his races.   My bad. 

RAESFAN

3/14/21

Caddo River looked dead tired in the stretch, looking for someplace to lay down, almost took out another horse!

Gerh

3/14/21

Didn’t help that Geroux had him under a stranglehold 

In reply toRe: msg 23
Wintertrian

3/14/21

Gerh said...

Didn’t help that Geroux had him under a stranglehold 

That's exactly it, Gerh.   THat horse used up all his energy "fighting" the jockey.  
which shoud not have happened.