Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

UAE Derby   Triple Crown

Started Mar-26 by SameSteve G; 2080 views.
RAESFAN

Apr-7

Thunder Snow and Mendelssohn didn’t get to run their races from the start. Lani and Muthaheeb were a bit too slow, IMO. I have not backed a Godolphin horse since Express Tour, who was woefully ill-prepared with one prep. This one I really like. I think he has just enough speed to stay close to those “glorified” 9f horses we usually run in the Derby. This breeding trend needs to get turned around, but it won’t until a horse like this wins the coveted roses! His breeding goes against the grain, which makes him a “Rebel”! Winning the Belmont will probably change nothing.

In reply toRe: msg 27
SameSteve G

Apr-7

That makes a whole lotta sense, IMO.  Very well-suited for 12 furlongs.

Oldbettowin

Apr-7

Well that’s disappointing but Goldophin might run 1-2 in the Belmont with him and Proxy.

SameSteve G

Apr-7

Hi-Ho Bet, hope all is well with you & yours.

I have always rooted for the UAE Derby winners, especially Thunder Snow & Mendelssohn.  I was also a Lani fan but knew he was a true head case.

I was as impressed as anyone by Rebel's Romance win.  

I don't think Godolphin will ever admit it but even with a horse like Rebel's Romance, the drawbacks of arriving late, undergoing quarantine, possible feed issues, possible sleep issues, possible conditioning issues & possible temperament issues are imposing.

Bringing Essential Quality over at 2 & leaving him here to prep might speak to that.  To a lesser extent that might also have applied to the less prepared Prevalence.

Having said that, I would have enjoyed seeing Rebel's Romance try the KD because it would be very satisfying if he won doing it that way.

Yes, it wouldn't be a surprise to see an RR/Proxy exacta in the Belmont or vice versa.

Oldbettowin

Apr-7

One of these days lol.  I got enamored with Thunder Snow and he totally had a melt down.  One would think they’d learn.  

Hope everything is well over your way!

RAESFAN

Apr-7

I agree that he is well suited for 12f. But his particular  blood line has a few miler types in there that might make him a little more versatile than one would think. Competing against horses who might be stretching it at 10f, he might be just fast enough.

smartyslew

Apr-7

He has the R/F thru his Sires Bmsire  on the sire side and Tf family 8d same Family as Bold Ruler

B or I type conduits. he has speed.

SameSteve G

Apr-7

I don't disagree & the UAE Derby is positive proof he has speed but now it's academic.  He's skipping the KD.   

Wintertrian

Apr-8

Oldbettowin said...

One of these days lol.  I got enamored with Thunder Snow and he totally had a melt down.  One would think they’d learn

Yeah but he sure made up for it in the course of his career!

The problem is that when they aren't prepared "U.S. style",  you're just going to keep having people think that foreign horses aren't any good.  

Thunder Snow had quite an amazing career,  he killed it except for about 4 races in his entire life (one of those being the KY Derby).... sixteen-and-a-half million $$ worth,  and I was so happy when his showed up his naysayers.  

So you gotta ask why a horse like this cannot do well in our KY Derby.  And the answer is why I handicap the KY Derby a little differently now than how I used to.  12F-14F pedigree?   That wont' win.  They have to have that killer dirt track speed that we love here.