Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ark Derby   Triple Crown

Started 4/4/21 by princeofdoc; 3166 views.
Oldbettowin

4/14/21

Lol. The derby’s just a different animal altogether.  Everyone thinks about the pace up front (which you have to do) but most people don’t stop to think about all the stresses on the herd in the middle.  It seems like just about every year 1st and usually 2nd go to the close up pressers and then 3rd and 4th are the stretch runners picking up the pieces.  I’ve often thought that a big reason for this is that it’s simply less stressful on a horse to be out in front of most of the pack, or far enough behind it to not be involved in most of the bumping/compression etc. that goes on.  I might be way off base and have never really researched it, just my impression.

Wintertrian

4/14/21

RAESFAN said...

I think Super Stock is improving. Third off the layoff in the Derby might put him right there.

After I saw his deboarding video at CDX, he looks like a nervous nelly type -- Bundle of nerves---- I don't think that's a good sign. 
Maybe he needs a few days to adapt. 

We really do put them thru a lot, not to mention the sheer stress of the kind of race dynamic they will have to run, like oldbettowin mentions. 

Sometimes I have trouble with the *concept* overall.  Asking a lot of very young horses, and then it's no big surprise that some of them never win a race again after just being IN the KY Derby.   

I would be the kind of owner that doesn't take that shot unless I had knew my horse was a cross of Godzilla, Sergient Reckless, Marengo and Bucephalus.    

RAESFAN

4/15/21

I would be the kind of owner that doesn't take that shot unless I had knew my horse was a cross of Godzilla, Sergient Reckless, Marengo and Bucephalus.    

Give me Pegasus, and I'll take on all comers!

Wintertrian

4/17/21

Wintertrian said::   I would be the kind of owner that doesn't take that shot unless I had knew my horse was a cross of Godzilla, Sergient Reckless, Marengo and Bucephalus.    

RAESFAN said...Give me Pegasus, and I'll take on all comers!

Yeah, the true meaning of "can run on any surface"......because it includes AIR!!!!