Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

KY Derby Leaderboard   Triple Crown

Started Apr-4 by Wintertrian; 4927 views.
ChiefsCrown

Apr-11

Bourbonic will be overlooked at the windows come May 1, nobody seems to think a Wood memorial runner stands any chance of hitting the board much less winning the derby. I like him, i've bet favorites and lost so i'll be using him in the derby. I would hope he stays within 5 to 10 lengths of the leaders turning for home.

Ark Derby winner, Super Stock, ran down two faster horses....don't sleep on this one! Shades of Nehro?

SameSteve G

Apr-11

CDI is not a beneficent steward of horse racing & that includes the big money-makers, The Kentucky Oaks & Kentucky Derby.

CDI is a predatory corporate entity.

Some people who invest in CDI stock like that fact!

RAESFAN

Apr-11

I do see it at lot these days. Even "reputable" media have glaring spelling errors in headlines. Growing up, I never saw those things. Where are the proofreaders and editors? Sign of the times...signs of a nation in decay?

• Edited April 11, 2021 3:40 pm  by  RAESFAN
Northof64

Apr-11

Technology!!! Auto correct screws up a lot of words!! Our laziness has made us less gooder?? More badder??

Northof64

Apr-11

Talk to anyone younger than us and count how many times you hear the word “like” when they speak. It’s like amazing!!

chroses

Apr-11

Like my post “everywhere” was some how made into 2 words instead of just one which was the way I typed it. Oh well

RAESFAN

Apr-11

Don't get me started with auto correct! I need to correct it, more often than it needs to correct me!

Wintertrian

Apr-11

Northof64 said...

Talk to anyone younger than us and count how many times you hear the word “like” when they speak.

I listened to several NPR interviews where that became so painful to my ear I had to just turn it off.  "Like" has become almost like punctuation itself, peppered into every long sentence.   And these were erudite young people worth interviewing....I think it just becomes a bad habit.  Like hair twirling, people do it unconsciously and sometimes don't realize that they do it?  

Our English teacher mom engaged in stuff nobdody except on-air TV reporters or people in the Theatre engage in these days, (i.e. elocution lessons) still reminds me when I drop consonants at the ends of words, etc.   I'm always aware when listening to the radio of those who speak "crisply" and I wonder how they kept their elocution so pristine.    It's a dying practice. 

On my side of things, I'm just happy to have overcome stringing together too many swear words  LOL   (although they still pop out quite often, I think that is a feature of my generation.)      

In reply toRe: msg 68
Wintertrian

Apr-12

What concerns me more:  I have a number of friends who are in their 30s and thus still have children in the 6-10 year old range.  The children are not "engaging" in person, ie. they are used to having their attention fixed on their tablets or phones and don't really make an effort to make eye contact ......at first I thought it's shyness but it's not.   And all their friends are similar, they "engage" in messaging, etc. back and forth and less in-person.   This can't be good.  I am trying to picture them in a traditional job interview.  

chroses

Apr-12

The interviewer and the interviewee are probably on the same page! LOL