Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

KY Derby Leaderboard   Triple Crown

Started Apr-4 by Wintertrian; 5077 views.
ChiefsCrown

Apr-12

"Like" in my opinion is a by product of political correctness. Kind of "like" the word...guestimate. I use that word when in the presence of one of my wife's niece's, she absolutely hates the word....Payback baby!!!

RAESFAN

Apr-12

It's the ultimate paradox. The more sophisticated the communications devices get, the less the kids so enamored by them, are able to communicate! I used to look forward to Thanksgiving with my family. Mt grandfather, the educator, would lead the family in a host of discussions and debates in an abundance of subject matters; from religion, to politics, to history, and everything else you could think of. I loved it, even though when I was little, I wasn't able to contribute much. There was as much food for thought at that venue, as food for our stomachs, and there was plenty of that!

My sisters tried to keep it going after my grandparents passed on, but it wasn't the same. I took my step-son to one of the last ones we had, and my big sister tried to engage him in conversation, but he would have to keep removing his head phones to respond in the most limited fashion. She got the message and left him alone. I was so embarrassed. This generation doesn't know what it's missing. I'm from the Caribbean, and my young daughter, nieces, and nephews, can't identify local fish, birds, or fruits. They play no games that don't involve some sort of technology. I spent so much time alone, interacting with the beautiful tropical environment with which I was blessed, enjoying my own company, having my imagination stimulated. I pity them! As a result, we are losing much of the flora and fauna of the land, due to overdevelopment, and they are clueless!

DogsUp

Apr-12

Yes. The generation is on video and cell phone crack. They vicariously live life on it. Think they're connected. And it's the only machine they know how to use. And sadly many know they cannot do or experience ever in real life.

I learned how to handicap by going to the track. Other humans that congregate.

When I'd see someone/a player win on a horse I couldn't figure I'd ask.

Say..3rd time back; 3rd time on a drop, open company now State Breds..   Aluminum shoe, caulk, blinkers on, first geldings and so.

RAESFAN

Apr-12

DogsUp said:

on video and cell phone crack

How sad, how accurate!

Wintertrian

Apr-12

RAESFAN said...

I'm from the Caribbean, and my young daughter, nieces, and nephews, can't identify local fish, birds, or fruits. They play no games that don't involve some sort of technology. I spent so much time alone, interacting with the beautiful tropical environment with which I was blessed, enjoying my own company, having my imagination stimulated. I pity them! As a result, we are losing much of the flora and fauna of the land, due to overdevelopment, and they are clueless!

Egads, yes.   I was a seashell hunter as a kid, I could give you the latin names and identify each one.  Then I got into rocks.  I knew all the rock and mineral specimens, collected them, labelled them, etc.   Then I got around to trees, and leaves and leaf designs and botany.

I never thought about it  but I guess it's no accident that I ended up in a town named Hot Springs National Park...The oldest park in the US maintained by the National Park Service. Being a northeasterner, I never thought I'd end up in Arkansas, but I did.  52 state parks covering 54,000 acres, and 8 National Parks covering about 2.9 million acres.   I love that they call it The Natural State.   Because it is.  

Thankfully though, I do see a lot of people and kids on the trails and in many of the state and national parks here, so somebody IS taking their kids out into nature.  

RAESFAN

Apr-12

I collected shells and rocks too! Wow! Had a bunch of brain coral also. As for the rocks, I was fascinated with quartz! My older siblings(two sisters) had no use for me, so I spent a lot of time like an only child. :-)

Wintertrian

Apr-12

RAESFAN said...

I was fascinated with quartz!

I live in one of the richest quartz veins in the U.S. (Ouachita Mountains, Mt. Ida, Hot Springs, etc.)   There are dig your own sites all over the place here. (big tourist atttraction)   I collected a few bucketfulls every time I had my driveway graded.  They just pop up out of the ground after it rains sometimes. Those of course, aren't white enough or perfect enough, but it's almost ridiculous how the quartz is just everywhere around here.   Some people move here because they think it's *magical*   LOL

Crater of Diamonds State Park is up the road a piece.   Do you know during this pandemic year a lot of people found good diamonds there.  One of the people I acutally know. She found a 2.23 carat...she was only there for 30 minutes.     Another guy found a 3.29 carat in October.    It's one of the only places in the world where the public can search for real diamonds in their original volcanic source.  (Murfreesboro, Arkansas).  37 acres.   People find all sorts of other rocks, minerals and gemstones there too.  Sissy's Log Cabin, the Rolex dealer here, buys the good ones from you.  They are yours to keep of course.  

"The 40.23-carat Uncle Sam, the largest diamond ever unearthed in the U.S.; the 16.37-carat Amarillo Starlight; the 15.33-carat Star of Arkansas; and the 8.52-carat Esperanza were also found there"

RAESFAN

Apr-13

I would pretend the quartzes I found were valuable. They were common in the clay soil around my house, but were actually quite pretty. I don't know about the rocks themselves, but my entire childhood was "magical"!

Wintertrian

Apr-13

So I'm in the National Park today and downtown, and this MONSTROUS semi has a brand new bucket lifter onboard, it's one of those gorgeous aerial ones that goes up 85 feet----first of all, Central Ave is a 2 lane little in-town road.  Just gettting that thing thru that traffic is quite a feat.  So then I start watching the guys unhook and unload this monster aerial machine.   They were having some trouble with the electronic controls.  I said to them "I guess she's too pretty to actually work"....they were laughing.  Downtown had heavy foot traffic, tourists with their kids.  Now, you'd think every little boy walking by would have stopped, dead in their tracks, with eyeballs wide open, to watch a behemonth like this getting unloaded.   I mean, it's a boy dream.  And it was painted up like it just came out of the factory.  the hooks and chains holding her down were even too heavy for me to lift most likely. 

Nope.  Not one kid.   A few walked by, but they were looking at their phones. 

Hey, I'm a tomboy.   I like watching guys do guy things......mostly because I know these are the type of men who built America.....yes, I read all the Studs Terkel books, etc.  about the bridges, etc.    That was back when union guys did the work and they knew what they were doing and all our infrastructure was built by men doing guy stuff.   I do admire those abilities. 

So I stood there and watched the whole thing until they got the behemoth off the trailer, and then they had to move some cement posts blocking the entrance to the National Park entrance to get it in........all the while car traffic WHIZZING BY.   Pretty amazing!   "real life" can't compete with the internet I guess though. 

BTW the tractor trailer driver told me how it really wasn't "fun" to drive something that large thru town, and he is experienced.  I took him at his word.  ahhahahahaha

RAESFAN

Apr-14

Total lack of curiosity in this generation. Growing up as the islands were being developed, airplanes flew low over my house as we lived less than three miles from the only airport. It always fascinated me to see these “iron birds” as some islanders called them drop their landing gear upon entry. How could those things defy gravity.

When I watched tv and see those skyscrapers, I would be in awe of the courageous men that worked so high off the ground. There was nothing on my little flat island that would allow me to appreciate the experience.

The funny thing is, the way these kids are locked into their phones, my sisters were in there books, and I was with the tv, which we only purchased when I was about six years old. By then, my sisters were 14 and 17 respectively. I guess every generation has its thing, but I can’t help but feel there is a downward trajectory from a standpoint of social and intellectual development. Even when it came to the “boob tube”, I cut my teeth on the types of movies seen now on the Turner Classic Movie channel, which I consider classics, despite the lack of representation of people that look like me. Human experiences and emotions, don’t really differ that much. I am able to communicate with and find empathy for people from all walks of life. These youngsters seem to be a little too self-absorbed and entitled. Life is going to hit them hard, before it’s all over.