Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Workouts for the Derby   Triple Crown

Started Apr-18 by princeofdoc; 682 views.
princeofdoc

Apr-18

It seems each year that an utr horse hits the super....and the best clue that he would is the quality of the last two workouts.  Thus far, Mandaloun and Soup and Sandwich are receiving rave reviews....wondering if any of you have watched or heard of others impressive works?

Wintertrian

Apr-18

princeofdoc said...

Thus far, Mandaloun and Soup and Sandwich are receiving rave reviews.

Glad to hear this, I was worried about S&S. I had him in my top 9 for April and now I can leave him there.   But I still need to see them in slo mo, is he changing leads now?

Only other good works over CD that I know about are that Sainthood and Known Agenda did 5F in 100:40.  

I'm glad you started this topic

princeofdoc

Apr-19

Midnight Bourbon worked today in 59 and change.....and that's for Asmussen!  Do you think he changes approach with works for the Derby?

DogsUp

Apr-19

Last 7 Derbys winner was in top 3 at quarter mile. Got bumping, gate position to force execution of run out of the gate.

IMO I would be working horse speed out of gate vs endurance.

DogsUp

Apr-19

Assmussen's dad owns part of colt. So the anecdotal  teaser can be hubris vs driven concentration.

You mentioned your ticket would have some feels to it.

HUBRIS or Hardwork? 

I'll tell you mine.

SameSteve G

Apr-19

Midnight was keyed up today & due to some shoddy handling broke loose & caused a panic.  Luckily, neither the horse, other horses nor any humans were injured.

Very dangerous, to state the obvious.  Lucky, as well, that Midnight didn't go all out.

Someone caught the incident on video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg4DaaX81Ks

DogsUp

Apr-19

Seabiscuit severely injured his jockey during AM work on the track. Spooked, jock fell and foot stayed in stirrup. Horse then ran off track through barn area. 

RIP..Jeff Lukas tried to stop Tobasco Cat loose like this in barn area and sustained life changing physical and brain injuries.

In reply toRe: msg 5
DogsUp

Apr-19

After seeing video of loose Mid Bourbon after an Am bullet 59ish my anecdotal take is they better start watching the store.

Never ever get relaxed around a horse. Front, back and they can kick out sideways. See this a lot in winner's circle where someone is next to the hind quarter.

So the colt is an early runner.

And seems full of himself. And he didn't run 'away. I'm going with his legs felt trapped. Stifled.

In reply toRe: msg 7
SameSteve G

Apr-19

Two famous examples you cite & I'll give you another one which didn't end, thankfully, in injury, but I was an eye witness.

1998, Churchill Downs, BC week.  Watching workouts in the morning & all of a sudden Skip Away is loose on the backside.  Sort of doing a Midnight Bourbon style half-back eluding tacklers.  However, at that point in time Skippy had bankrolled close to 10 million dollars in purses.  So I can only imagine the alarm having him running loose.  Probably only a coincidence that he ran 6th in the Classic the next day.

Horses getting loose happens more often than people think.  Just every day blue collar horses giving the slip to handlers in blue collar barns up to the big names & more well known horses.

chroses

Apr-19

Watched both of their works on Facebook and they did look good.