Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Medina Spirit - Positive - Betamethasone   Triple Crown

Started 5/9/21 by SameSteve G; 20312 views.
Gerh

Jun-13

If the other compounds are present it may prove that the ointment was used but it may not prove that an injection was used also

DogsUp

Jun-13

The measurement is in parts per million. PPM. The lab probably uses Mass Spectrometry  equipment.

The compound as it was manufactured and used on the colt should/will have measurement amounts of each ingredient proportionally.

The amount of the illegal drug will have to be proportional to the total ointment compound mixture.

If not, that is, the illegal drug dosage of the drug 'significantly exceeds' the amount in relationship to other compound and materials/ingredients; then yes, Baffert has no remedy that the drug was; only as you mention,  in the compound. Commercially approved drugs in the manufacturing stage have a chain of custody from inception to any changes in the pilot trials right down to making it on the shop floor 

But, then a good lawyer will seek records from the manufacturer to ascertain if every batch has exact proportions or if there could be an overage amount of the drug in the ointment batch by batch as it is manufactured. And if that is the case, it really helps Baffert's case.

Horse shoes; close enough results and everybody is happy. 

I'm Happy. 

(d)

• Edited June 13, 2021 6:21 pm  by  DogsUp
SameSteve G

Jun-14

DogsUp said:

The measurement is in parts per million. PPM.

No.  The measurement is in picograms.  Parts per trillionth.  In the sample, obviously.

DogsUp

Jun-14

The equipment measures in parts per million. The calculations can find the sample in the trillions (Greater than) or conversely Less than.

The manufactured 'equipment capabilities/ measurement/calibration registrations; and the science math of equations  for final answers finding of LC / GC - liquid and gas chromatography is PPM.

Yes from the 'equipment's capabilities = PPM' and the math models it will mathematically  discover to trillions  or the opposite higher amounts.

https://sciencing.com/calculate-concentration-ppm-6935286.html

SameSteve G

Jun-14

Thank you Loootenant Obvious.

I thought this thread was about Medina Spirit's  overage which was 21 picograms.

I didn't realize you were engaging in a general science lesson.  :)

smartyslew

Jun-14

21st Century Truesdail Labs  you say !

DogsUp

Jun-14

Should have made  thread to All.

My point in a way earlier thread was how the analytical test equipment was so electro-mechanically- computerized software scientifically concise and accurate. And how it worked. As well we spoke to the chain of custody concerns.

Easy stuff for the machine. 

The hidden story is Bob and his people and Vet relied on the other guy to meet qualified drug screening standards for/in the Kentucky Derby. Nobody checking the checker.

And as always the Dogs likes to get his blog amigos juices flowing. Good for their hearts and minds and souls.

Amen (d)

Love yah Steve O

• Edited June 14, 2021 12:49 pm  by  DogsUp
In reply toRe: msg 183
TexSquared

Jun-18

Wow, just wow.   So Hollendorfer was kicked out of Santa Anita but Baffert gets to stay?  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/18/bob-baffert-horse-deaths-drug-violations/

RAESFAN

Jun-19

Forgive me if my question has been asked and answered here already. Is it possible that Baffert could have used the ointment AND injected the drug? Would the presence of the ointment ingredients necessarily mean he is innocent? Could it be that's why the residual amount was so high?

TexSquared

Jun-19

Possible... the ointment being used as an excuse to hide the injected drugs?   And if the WP article is any indication, Kentucky will find a way to let him get away with it.